10 reasons having a religion is madness

Originally published at https://ideapod.com/10-reasons-religion-madness/

Spirituality is important, but religions? Not so much.

Whether you choose to follow Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, or any other major religion, the choice to become a follower of a major religion will not increase your spirituality and growth but hinder it.

Here are ten reasons why you don’t need religion.

1) Absolute Obedience

There may be no greater authoritarian regime than traditional religious institutions.

These institutions are designed to rule all of your free will, and they do this on purpose: the more their followers resemble sheep, the easier they are to command.

Religions are built to make you docile and weak so that they can actively preach their teachings and philosophies without worrying about dissent.

2) Spirituality is for the Uneducated

If you have any sort of higher education, then you should be well-educated enough to know that religion and spirituality do not truly add to your awareness of the universe.

Religion does everything in its power to lower your understanding of consciousness, by bottling the meaning of the universe into a book with a thousand rules that need to be followed.

This burdens your mind with false notions, giving you none of the truths you seek.

Here’s a brilliant quote from Carl Sagan:

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”

3) Filled With Pedophiles

You know how churches and other religious institutions regularly ask for donations and contributions?

The cold hard truth is that every dollar you donate to these churches is another dollar that goes in the pockets of an organization that is known to protect pedophiles.

Hundreds of Catholic teachers and priest have been outed as pedophiles, harming young boys and girls, yet the Pope and the church continue to keep them on board.

4) Flush Away Your Time

Time is the most important asset you have, especially since you can never buy any second you waste back.

The problem with religion is that it takes a whole lot of time if you want to turn yourself into a devoted Catholic, but you are wasting this time learning concepts that could take a fraction of the time to understand.

So much of what religions teach is just nonsense, with repetitive rituals like going to church and repeating prayers and memorizing an ancient book that nobody actually listens to.

Richard Dawkins describes why the Bible isn’t necessarily evil, but just plain weird:

“To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and ‘improved’ by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries.”

5) You Were Probably Born Into It

Answer this question: why are you currently following the religion you follow?

There is an incredibly high chance that your answer is that it’s the religion that you were born into.

You inherited the religion from your parents, who taught you to worship their god for their sense of security.

You were taught their prayers, their rituals, when to go to church and how often to repent, but how many nights have you spend actually asking why?

Most religions are actually just a collection of myths and legends from previous religions and cults; yes, even if the most popular ones like Christianity are based on nothing but pagan roots.

6) Teaches Fake Compassion

Religions love to preach compassion, but how much of that compassion do they actually follow?

Most religions have histories filled with blood. Unconditional love is a foreign concept when it comes to the promotion and spread of major religions around the world.

People weren’t allowed to willingly accept new religions; instead, most of the time they were forced into adopting religions, by their conquerors or colonizers.

How much compassion can religions with so much bloodshed actually teach?

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

7) Incest

One thing that most religious leaders these days won’t willingly admit is that their religions are built off of foundations of inbred social networks.

Religions actively promote incest and marrying and breeding within your small communities or extended families.

This way, it is easier to keep beliefs contained, and easier to grow a stronger community of believers.

Religions thrive off of creating the “us-vs-them” mindset, which is why so many religions are always at war with each other.

Writer Steve Pavlina describes it best:

“If you’re one of the saved, blessed, or otherwise enlightened individuals who stumbled upon the one true belief system, then supposedly everyone else remains in the dark. Certain religions are overtly intolerant of outsiders, but to one degree or another, all major religions cast non-subscribers in a negative light. This helps to discourage members from abandoning the religion while still enabling them to proselytize. The main idea is to maintain social structures that reward loyalty and punish freedom of thought.”

8) You Lose Spiritual Understanding

A giant misunderstanding when it comes to religions is that they will enhance your spirituality.

However, the truth is quite the opposite: by forcing yourself down the throat of a single religion, you inherently prevent yourself from understanding more than one perspective or spiritual philosophy.

Your spiritual understanding immediately loses depth, because you have blocked yourself off from the other theologies and perspectives on life.

9) You Will Fear It

The number one way religions market themselves is through fear. They teach us to be afraid of a big man in the sky judging our every action.

And like any lesson, fear is the worst way to teach it.

Because instead of actually learning the difference between right and wrong, and why evil actions are things we shouldn’t do, we are instead taught to just fear the judgment of our actions.

We do not learn why it is bad to hurt or steal from or cheat others, only that we should make sure that we do not get caught doing it.

Here’s a brilliant passage from philosopher Bertrand Russell in his essay Why I Am Not a Christian:

“Religion is based primarily upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly as the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. Fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. It is because fear is at the basis of those two things. In this world we can now begin a little to understand things, and a little to master them by help of science, which has forced its way step by step against the opposition of all the old precepts. Science can help us to get over this craven fear in which mankind has lived for so many generations. Science can teach us, and I think our own hearts can teach us, no longer to look around for imaginary supports, no longer to invent allies in the sky, but rather to look to our own efforts here below to make this world a fit place to live in, instead of the place that the churches in all these centuries have made it.”

10) Filled With Hypocrisy

There are only two paths once you become a religious person: idiocy or hypocrisy; there’s no in between.

You can choose to either blindly swallow all the stupid drivel that the priests tell you at mass, or you can tell yourself that it is all wrong, but still choose to follow it.

Either way, you have no way to get out of this with your dignity intact.

You don’t need religion to have morals. If you can’t determine right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion.

A Century of War Anglo-American: Oil Politics and the New World Order

As I read the tenets for contributing to a discussion, I see the first “rule” asks whether my reply will improve the conversation in some way. The second states we should be kind to our fellow community members, and the third deals with constructive criticism. Rather ironic since the article itself followed none of these tenets.
There was a time before reading this article that I had some respect for what you have been trying to do…you know, stimulate engagement and facilitate worthwhile discussion. But now you have revealed yourself for what you really are…a bigot.
It is true that religion has become something it was never meant to be. Much anger, hatred, death and dishonesty have thrived at the hands of those who are “in charge” of religions. But I take note that you have completely ignored the horrors and atrocities of those who, in the name of no religion, found it within themselves to do such things. Hitler, Shaka Zulu, Stalin, Mussoline, Mugabe, the genocides in Rwanda, Uganda, the slaughter of Native Americans by the government, ad infinitum…
You speak of horrors such as pedophilia and incest. Yet these pale in comparison to the horrors of the savagery exacted at the hands of those who served no religion.
You speak of the lack of education of those who belong to some religion, yet without the slightest regard for truth, honesty, or factual content you have the hypocritical urge to pen an article such as this which is filled with slurs and vernacular usually reserved for those who adhere to the basest of ideologies with no regard to any God or higher power.
You are a sickened man, infected by hatred. And in your zeal to disembowel the structure of religion you have in turn formed you own putrified religion. How bloody ironic…

@pphelps07 I’m not sure if your comment is direct towards me personally or the author of the article.

The article is quite polemic, and that’s in line with what we’re trying to do with Ideapod. We’re happy to publish articles advancing various perspectives. You would be welcome, for example, to contribute an article yourself with a counter-perspective.

Personally, I’ve got no issue with people following organized religion. I don’t agree with all of the points advanced in the article. But I appreciate that the author has a perspective they’re passionate about.

Perhaps you could share how you think following an organized religion can be a positive experience?

I think there are cases where it can be incredibly positive to be part of some kind of organized religion. For example, it’s a great way to be part of a community. Also, organized religions often help people to develop an ethical or moral framework. People can also engage in practices that help them feel a connection with God.

These are great reasons to follow an organized religion.

This is a truly juvenile treatise on religion which, I suspect, is something of which the author has no direct experience. Having said that, the subject matter itself is well worth discussing. I look forward to that here and elsewhere on this platform.

Apologetics is another word for argument for the defence. I regard myself as a religious apologist but am only familiar with Christian apologetics. My opinion is that the particular also applies to the universal in the apologetics of religion. My apology for Christianity is my apology for all religion.

Christian apologetics has an august heritage which includes Thomas Aquinas, Blaise Pascal, and CS Lewis to name three more well known examples spanning 700 years. Aquinas’ Summa Theologica is a masterpiece of logic and reasoning, including its five well known arguments for the existence of God. Pascal was a rigorous mathematician and scientist and the author of Pensées, an apology for Christianity and one of the finest examples of French prose in which he demonstrates a mastery of logic, running circles around Montaigne, the more-or-less contemporary age-of-reason sceptic, and Epictetus, the classical Greek stoic. Tolkein’s close friend, Lewis, describes his conversion to Christianity, due in part to his friend’s influence, in Surprised by Joy, and refers to stabs of joy which led him like signposts throughout his life from atheism to Christianity in his early thirties. The heritage of Christianity and all religions is marked by the contributions of humanity’s very best educated.

It is a great mistake to characterize religion as a bastion of humanity’s sinfulness even though much sin has been perpetrated in the name of religion and in the context of religious institutions, sinfulness which only argues in favor of the central tenet of all religions: humanity’s erstwhile humble relationship to the eternal.

I really appreciate that you provide an environment to discuss these things. I like the article very much.
I think Jordan Peterson has a great point in that “religious is what you actually act out in life and not what you purport to believe”
What you truly believe can be measured by an analysis of your actions and not merely what you purport to believe. Religion is a foundational part of our axioms over human history and is casually dismissed at our peril.
When you interact with your religious practice, you are trying to sort something out, it’s so important that a person can separate from utility to a higher aim.

We are alive, we have an archetypal field that we use all day every day. That means the archetypal field is alive.
We have the archetype of the great father and we can deny at the conscious level it’s effect on our behavior but it’s hubristic at best.

religion?

Yes, I know the word. I see in the original article that many different attributes are associated with the word. However, those are attributes that have been applied by people. And as a lot of people are quite mad in a sot of unhinged way, I can see how other people might take issue or agree with the article.

So, here is the problem. Some groups of people do believe in an all-powerful God, and others do not. It is also agreed that after you die, neither will be disappointed.

So, if an all-powerful God does not exist then the universe has no purpose, and we all should go mad.

If an all-powerful God does exist then not to worry, no matter what you believe here on this dirtball, the real dead set is you do not know. Do not worry, if there were a manual it would not be religion, more like a camera.

One of the exciting things in life is to watch, listen to, read things from a person that has the different feelings you do about religion. You probably think them quite mad, and you would be correct.

I agree with the Pedophile part. Especially with the conviction of Cardinal Pell of Australia. If the highest officer of Catholic Church is guilty of pedophilia, how can you still trust the Catholic priests? But I should say that it’s more of a white man fetish. Since here in the Philippines, the problem is that the priests are marrying in secret and having kids. But not pedophilia. Pedophila is a white man culture.

Nowadays, only old people attend the church. Maybe if the millenials become older, they too will discover their spirituality and go back to attending church. So once the baby boomers got outphased and the millenials replace them, will we see them attending the mass? So can we tie it up on a generational basis or age basis? Do we become spiritual as we age? Those are the existential questions that I want to ask?

The church is within you so going to a building once a week is habit. And many places do not have the building.

I agree. After dealing with religious narcissists my entire life. …I believe this to be true.

Mistaken identity…I noticed the last name, took the leap and made the assumption it was you. My apologies in that regard. As to your offer, it would be somewhat difficult for me to take much of a defensive posture seeing that I too believe organized religion has become an abomination and deserves very little defending. However, to take the absurd stance that religion is for idiots, perverts, and buffoons deserves no defense, even in the name of free discourse and discussion.

Belief in God is a terrible thing. It has caused great pain and sufferings down through the ages.
This past easter I led a meditation retreat, and was pondering, religion and spirituality.

Religion & Spirituality are 2 entirely different experiences. One is based on ‘believing’ the other is based upon ‘knowing’.

Religion played an important part of my life as a child and teenager. I was influenced mainly through fear… the thought of hell and damnation… being a rotting corpse at the end of the world… kept me in check and craving safety.
I was an insecure child and held fast to the hope that somehow I could navigate this world of fear, if I had ‘God’s’ help… By the time I was 14 I began to really question the whole thing… I had experienced so many religions, studied the bible, been terrified witless by the images of an eternity in burning flames. I finally had enough of the fear.
By the time I was 18 I had discovered meditation, and a direct experience of inner peace, and a new way of seeing life started to bloom. I began to rely upon my own inner experience. I went down many a new age rabbit hole… and now arrive in my 60’s with a growing understanding of both the pitfalls and beauty of religion.
My current understanding is this: it is not the ‘religion’ it is the level of inner understanding. I have met many beautiful, balanced, compassionate and genuine religious people. I have also been witness to the atrocities wrought upon humanity in the name of today’s religious terrorists.
When one remains at the level of belief, one stays in the realm of the mind. There are subtler forms of intelligence, that western education is disconnected from, ‘believing’ the mental, empirical world to be the all consuming ‘New God’.

To my mind, it is not the religion, but the inability to deal with our baser human impulses of fear, self destruction, all based upon belief. Leading to a global epidemic: lack of empathy.

In his final interview with the BBC in the early 60’s C.G. Jung, grandfather of modern psychology, was asked, “Do you believe God exists?” There was a long pause, and with a twinkle in his eye, he responded, “No, I do not believe God exists,” a further long pause before continuing, “I know God exists”.
I know what he means.

I know what you mean! I kinda railed about the article as well… after reading Justin’s response… I saw the article as a way of crystallizing my thoughts about it all. so in that context, useful. Probably not a great article… but an important talking point…

This expresses one of my issues with organized religion.

You may be interested in this article where a retired bishop explains what he sees as the real reason for the invention of “Hell”.

All I know is that whoever, whatever designed this universe based it on a set of principles that were allowed to evolve over time so that they are barely recognizable now. All of earth’s species & plants has a psychological insecurity which allows us to “eat” each other literally or figuratively. We humans call it competition for which we use money as an indicator of status or success. If you look at Mother Nature you will see that the inanimate objects (planets, asteroids, galaxies) fight for dominance & generally bash each other when given the chance. Religions, business, governments & personal relationships have all borrowed history, adopted approaches, etc. that strengthen physical & psychological control over others. The Christian Religion says we’re made in the image of God & considering the mayhem in the universe I’ll let the reader (if any) spell it out.

That was a function of the DNA building each living thing. It needed a means of nutrition and as there were no Hungry Jack’s yet our DNA picked another source. And that is why you came into existence with the energy to post your comment. All part of the original design and that is good.

I love organized religion, but I also am very spiritual. I don’t feel confined, brainwashed, frightened, uneducated or beaten down. I respect your opinions, but Religion brings me comfort, joy and enlightenment. It enriches my life, and gives me purpose. I feel good when I go to church. It replenishes my soul, and gives me a greater understanding of myself, and others. I agree, some churches have done terrible things, but others have contributed greatly to humanity. They provide refuge and protection to immigrants, shelter the homeless, cloth and feed the poor, and comfort the dying. Religions are composed of all different people, good and bad. If it brings joy, comfort and love to others, shouldn’t we feel happy for them?
Opinions are important, but judgement inflicts a feeling of “better, and smarter which in turn makes people feel “less than, and diminished. Regardless of what you believe, I hope we never inflict those demoralizing feelings on one another.

“Where did this appetite for young girls come from? Look around you. Young girls have been sexualized for years now in music videos, on billboards, in television ads, and in clothing stores. Marketers have created a demand for young flesh and a ready supply of over-sexualized children.”

The problem of pedophilia is one of moral decay in Western society generally, aided and abetted by commercial exploitation of sexuality. Marketers are not to blame. We who apparently demand this cult of the lascivious are to blame. Physician, heal thyself.

I suspect that it’s not as simple as belief in God or disbelief. Jordan Peterson suggested that purported belief or disbelief is merely "surface noise " , and that "who are you to say what you believe? I mean people are the most complex things we know. " Our true fundamental axioms become evident by an analysis of our actions. It’s that simple.