6 reasons why suffering is so important

(Genefe Navilon) #1

Read the full article here: https://ideapod.com/why-suffering-is-important/

When we were younger, all we wanted to do was grow up. We couldn’t wait to do whatever we wanted and be whoever we wanted to be. But here’s what we didn’t know: Being “grown-up” also meant experiencing suffering. Along with the freedom to make life choices comes the random occurrences of challenges, tragedies, and…

(Karen Emery) #2

I totally agree with this article. The hugest suffering in my life eventually let to the greatest spiritual growth. I say eventually because it was a long learning process. My daughter was murdered 9 years ago. The pain was understandably immense. I didn’t grow from it, however for 5 years because I kept trying to push the pain away. At the 5 year mark I imploded- after 24 years of sobriety from alcohol, I drank. Only after the huge pain of uncontrollable drinking and the consequences that brought did I finally surrender, allow the pain to flow through me and the spiritual healing began. The process was hard but the results have been vast and life changing. Now I dedicate my life to helping others. And the pain is gone.

(system) #3

(paul pellico) #4

This has to be THE most stupid, self deception story I have read since elementary religion class.
The fact that you can grow from suffering is astounding.
My wife and I never even understood what REAL suffering was until our son’s losing battle with sarcoma was.
I suppose Jeffrey is still growing after his year long losing battle???
Grow? Damn it, we struggle these last decades of our lives with a pain off loss nobody should ever feel…except for the fantastically uncaring plan designer and “life” process we are washed about in.
Stupid and almost kindergarten level religiously stupid at that.

(Justin Brown) #5

@Intuitive_karen thanks for sharing your very personal experience. I can’t even begin to imagine the pain you must have gone through. I’m happy to know that you have managed to find a way to find meaning from helping others.

@paulpellico I’m really sorry to hear that your lost your son. I also appreciate you took the time to share a personal response here to the article.

I think the author is suggesting that there is always a choice with how to understand our own personal suffering. However, everyone’s experience is unique. It’s difficult when writing for a large audience to try to encapsulate everyone’s experience.

I’d be interested in your feedback on a related article I wrote recently (see the comments to the article here):

Do you find the message makes sense or is similarly missing the point?

(paul pellico) #6

That is my point.
To write a feature such as this one is what is wrong with each generation, and especially the newest in America. How often I hear The Sky Is Falling, the Earth is finished,. These are the worst of times.
Oh, hell…this ain’t nuthin, kids! It has gotten and will get a hellava lot worse!
Being spoiled living the best possible lives available today can make generations of fools.

And to suffering. To speak of suffering without really KNOWING suffering is nothin but wrong. Real suffering is not just a learning experience, it is a life destroying experience. When you really, REALLY know sadness or suffering, then you become understanding of those who want to end their lives.
There is pain in truth.
I suppose one should find a way to be happy knowing the truth.
But how? How does one learn to pan back from one’s world only to see the BIG PICTURE and find chaos, randomness and absolutely no purpose other than being a more complicated weed trying to outspread the other weeds?
No, suffering is NOT a growth hormone.

The best thing I can offer as advice to those suffering the loss of a loved one is…embrace it. Don’t run.
I wear my pain and memories of Jeffrey like a warm blanket and it keeps me warm.
Sleep more. Take your nap. Clear the mechanism by meditation. Just have and see your “moment”. Keep looking and awaken…and excepting your fate.

(Justin Brown) #7

I think what you recommend here closely mirrors the suggestions in the article above. Rather than this article being an indicate of “what is wrong with each generation”, surely it would be better to see that it’s commendable to adopt such a perspective and start a conversation about it?

In modern day culture, there is a concept many people share to try and avoid suffering. To follow one’s highest joy and run away from those things that cause you pain.

As you say, no! There’s an alternative to “embrace it”, to “wear pain and memories like a warm blanket”.

Surely we would have a better discussion by leaving considerate comments about the content shared rather than the author’s character. See my recent post on the art of disagreeing and how to advance such conversations.