A Story #ForTheWeb

(Mark's Myth) #1

Read the full article here: https://ideapod.com/a-story-fortheweb/

Fifty years ago in 1969 the first electronic message was sent over the ARPANET. This led to the development of protocols for internetworking, in which multiple separate networks could be joined into a network of networks. Forty years ago we were working on projects integrating the nascent ideas of networking and utilizing our new digital tools,…

(Mark's Myth) #2

What’s your story #ForTheWeb?

Hate it, love it, gotta have it, can’t turn it off, don’t want it, connected, disconnected, lonely, productive, inspiring, overwhelming, how you’d like it to be… everyone has a story #ForTheWeb

(system) #3

(Justin Brown) #4

It’s a big topic to explore. For me right now there are two “stories #fortheweb” I’m focusing on.

The first is how the web operates as a communication platform. Facebook particularly is transforming how we share information with each other. They are favoring mainstream and established media brands, resulting in media outlets like Ideapod being deprioritized in the news feed. It’s not a conspiracy. They need to make Facebook a place where misinformation and fake news doesn’t easily spread. However, I think that “filter bubbles” and “echo chambers” will become larger problems as time goes on.

The second and related problem is the way dominant technology platforms shape our minds. We wrote a brief article about it here, where a Facebook executive suggests that Facebook engineers are actively trying to “program us”. I think that dominant actors in society throughout history try to shape the beliefs of the people in society - shaping beliefs is really the same as “programming” people. So it’s not a new problem, but the web is just the most important technology being used for this purpose. The solution we’re working on here is Out of the Box, an online workshop that helps people to “free their minds” by connecting with their inner nature. I believe this is an important path for all of us to be on so we are less easily “programmed” by powerful actors.