About the Salons category

(Justin Brown) #1

This is a category for continuing the conversations started in our salons.

Salons are our online conversations where we bring together some leading thinkers to discuss the ideas shaping the world.

There’s a new topic created for each salon where the conversation can continue. Please share your reactions, ideas, questions and other resources there.

(Bill Ames) #2

I am a type of person who uses and reads words for what they mean. So I had to do some research on “salon”. See below. I now understand why I had no feeling for what was being done, I am not up to speed on 17th and 18th centuries. I wonder how much of Ideapod demographic knows this?

noun, plural sa·lons [suh-lonz; French sa-lawn] /səˈlɒnz; French saˈlɔ̃/.

a drawing room or reception room in a large house.

an assembly of guests in such a room, especially an assembly, common during the 17th and 18th centuries, consisting of the leaders in society, art, politics, etc.

a hall or place used for the exhibition of works of art.

a shop, business, or department of a store offering a specific product or service, especially one catering to a fashionable clientele:a dress salon; a hair salon.

( initial capital letter ) (in France)

1. the Salon, an annual exhibition of works of art by living artists, originally held at the Salond’Apollon: it became, during the 19th century, the focal point of artistic controversy and was identified with academicism and official hostility to progress in art.
  2. a national exhibition of works of art by living artists: