Academics failing?

(ACD) #1

I have been concerned during the last several years about the integrity of institutions of learning and knowledge authorities. The following excerpts refer to demonstration of a similar concern on the part of three members of the academy.

“Three academics spent more than a year submitting absurd hoax papers to preeminent journals … out of concern that certain aspects of knowledge production in the United States have been corrupted … submitted 20 papers to various peer-reviewed journals under pseudonyms, and seven were accepted.”

“Could they fool scholarly journals into publishing hoax papers masquerading as legitimate scholarship? The answer, it turns out, was yes.”

“In short, it exposed the academic equivalent of Fake News and its lucrative professional infrastructure.”

"One paper, published in a journal called Sex Roles, said that the author had conducted a two-year study involving thematic analysis of table dialogue to uncover the mystery of why heterosexual men like to eat at Hooters. Another, from a journal of feminist geography, parsed human reactions to rape culture and queer performativity at dog parks in Portland, Ore., while a third paper, published in a journal of feminist social work and titled Our Struggle Is My Struggle, simply scattered some up-to-date jargon into passages lifted from Hitler’s Mein Kampf. Such offerings may or may not have raised eyebrows among the journals’ limited readerships. But this week, they unleashed a cascade of mockery — along with a torrent of debate about ethics of hoaxes, the state of peer review and the excesses of academia — when they were revealed to be part of an elaborate prank aimed squarely at what the authors labeled grievance studies.”

(Bill Ames) #2

Perhaps some of these papers might win a prize?

(ACD) #3

“… for the first time in history, scientists and scholars worldwide are publishing more fraudulent and flawed studies than legitimate research …”

(Bill Ames) #4

This is a self correcting situation. When an idea is used to do something new, a better idea, and the seed idea from any poor research fails it will be discarded. Most science that is questionable is tested and retested by others. That is good. People looked hard at the EM drive. It may be determined to not be real but a lot may have been learned along the way. Thousands of years ago we had a lot of junk science that was accepted. People a thousand years from now will marvel at the things we actually believed.

Things are done and said by people and some people are too flawed but that is one of the rules we have in the game of science. Play at your own risk.

(ACD) #5

This is about corruption in the system which produces and vets academic knowledge, including but not limited to the sciences.

(Bill Ames) #6

The world and all elements and parts and collections are more or less corrupt. That is why we have a process to validate people before we allow them to gain responsibilities in our country or business or military. This process is invariably flawed for the same reason. If we lived in a perfect world our conversations would be different. We have a world where we have global communications, this is new. We are just now able to be exposed to much more flawed data.

(ACD) #7

Less corrupt is the goal, I submit. It appears that it is significantly more corrupt now, more than it was before and after WWII.

(Bill Ames) #8

A more perfect world can only be delivered by the people in the world. If they have failed in their responsibilities we will just have to hope the next generation will do better. Everyone is replaced every 140 years. I look to the future for better things and do not worry about the current failing lot, nothing I can do to fix them.

I have provided feedback based on the world of my grandparents, and I have some doubt it can be understood
(ACD) #9

“Pragmatism is the principle that every theoretical judgment expressible in a sentence in the indicative mood is a confused form of thought whose only meaning, if it has any, lies in its tendency to enforce a corresponding practical maxim expressible as a conditional sentence having its apodosis in the imperative mood.” Two Statements of the Pragmatic Maxim, Charles Pierce, Lectures on Pragmatism

https://www.textlog.de/7643.html

(Bill Ames) #10

Wiki said, "Pragmatism is a philosophical tradition that began in the United States around 1870. Its origins are often attributed to the philosophers Charles Sanders Peirce, William James, and John Dewey. Peirce later described it in his pragmatic maxim: “Consider the practical effects of the objects of your conception.”

This is easier for me to grasp.

(ACD) #11

“… deliberate fraud is far more widespread than the scientific establishment is generally willing to admit.”

(Bill Ames) #12

So, how much of a years worth of this:

is bogus?

(ACD) #13

“Many forms of statistical falsification are devilishly difficult to catch, or close enough to a genuine judgment call to provide plausible deniability.”

(Bill Ames) #14

This is why I prefer my world, my universe, my way.

(ACD) #15

“Last summer, the Open Science Collaboration announced that it had tried to replicate one hundred published psychology experiments sampled from three of the most prestigious journals in the field. Scientific claims rest on the idea that experiments repeated under nearly identical conditions ought to yield approximately the same results, but until very recently, very few had bothered to check in a systematic way whether this was actually the case. The OSC was the biggest attempt yet to check a field’s results, and the most shocking. In many cases, they had used original experimental materials, and sometimes even performed the experiments under the guidance of the original researchers. Of the studies that had originally reported positive results, an astonishing 65 percent failed to show statistical significance on replication, and many of the remainder showed greatly reduced effect sizes.”

(Bill Ames) #16

I totally agree with this. Part of the problem is there are hidden attributes that were part of the original experiment that are not replicated. When you are testing the real world about which you lack sufficient knowledge then errors will happen.

(Mel Saint) #17

Everything seems to be an irony nowadays: we have the most advanced technology but people are getting dumber.

(ACD) #18

To whom do you refer?

(Holly BF Warren) #19

From your research it seems we are in dire straits!
I have just started writing academic articles and I am looking for publishers…do I have to be concerned?