Declaration of Digital Independence

(Mark's Myth) #1

Continuing the discussion from Is Wikipedia biased?:

This may be one of the most important discussions of our times. Since Marshall McLuhan opened the pandora of the mediasphere we have had an accelerated evolution in delivery methods and accessibility.

Understanding media as an ecosystem and it’s effects on humans within and part of that environment is critical to our wellbeing just as it is within the physical environment we are entwined.

I’d like to see this topic explore this frontier as we sort through what it means to have “digital rights” and those who are fighting for those rights.

Declaration of Independence
(Mark's Myth) #2

Genesis of understanding and presenting the issues…

(Mark's Myth) #3

On media…

https://www.media-ecology.org/What-Is-Media-Ecology

What Is Media Ecology?

Media ecology looks into the matter of how media of communication affect human perception, understanding, feeling, and value; and how our interaction with media facilitates or impedes our chances of survival.

The word ecology implies the study of environments: their structure, content, and impact on people.

An environment is, after all, a complex message system which imposes on human beings certain ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving.

• It structures what we can see and say and, therefore, do.
  • It assigns roles to us and insists on our playing them.
  • It specifies what we are permitted to do and what we are not. Sometimes, as in the case of a courtroom, or classroom, or business office, the specifications are explicit and formal.

In the case of media environments (e.g., books, radio, film, television, etc.), the specifications are more often implicit and informal, half concealed by our assumption that what we are dealing with is not an environment but merely a machine.

Media ecology tries to make these specifications explicit.

It tries to find out what roles media force us to play, how media structure what we are seeing, why media make us feel and act as we do.

Media ecology is the study of media as environments.

Neil Postman

(ACD) #4

All here sign the petition?

(Bill Ames) #5

Those who understand the digital age know that a lot of people who do not understand it will do things, such as petitions, to give themselves a purpose. They need to look at the bigger, more enlightened picture of the world to see the truth of this tempest in a tea pot. I am not a prisoner therefor do not need a declaration of independence.

(ACD) #6

“Of all the platform firms, Google is singular. Its near-monopoly on search (around 90 percent) puts it in a position to steer thought. And increasingly, it avows the steering of thought as its unique responsibility… The ideal being articulated in Mountain View is that we will inte­grate Google’s services into our lives so effortlessly, and the guiding presence of this beneficent entity in our lives will be so pervasive and unobtrusive, that the boundary between self and Google will blur. The firm will provide a kind of mental scaffold for us, guiding our intentions by shaping our informational context. This is to take the idea of trusteeship and install it in the infrastructure of thought. Populism is the rejection of this. The American founders were well acquainted with the pathetic trajectories of the ancient democracies, which reliably devolved into faction, oligarchic revolution, and tyranny. They designed our con­stitutional regime to mitigate the worst tendencies of direct democracy by filtering popular passions through political representation, and through nonrepresentative checks on popular will. The more you know of political history, the more impressive the American founding appears. Any would-be populist needs to keep this accomplishment in view, as a check on his own attraction to playing the tribune. How much deference is due the demos? I think the decisive question to ask is, what is the intellectual temper of today’s elites? Is it marked by the political sobriety of the founding generation, or an articulated vision of the common good of the nation such as the twentieth-century Progressives offered? Not so much? One can be wary of the demos and still prefer, like William F. Buckley, to be ruled by the first fifty names in the Boston phone book than by one’s fellow intellectuals.”

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2019/05/algorithmic-governance-and-political-legitimacy/

(Bill Ames) #7

Rule me? I think not.

(Mel Saint) #8

I can do that. I am very introverted by nature. I can just live in the mountain city of Baguio. And live alone. With zero contact with people or internet. Being alone is second nature to me. If you want misery, then live under the rock. There are pro’s and con’s to the internet. It’s by no means perfect. But if you can learn to harness the good side of it, then why not? I worked for HP and Apple. I worked inside tech companies. It doesn’t bother me at all. The fuck do I care if they see everything that I do online? I don’t give a fuck! They can stalk me all they want. As I have stalked all my previous paranoid customers before. It doesn’t change anything in my life.

(Bill Ames) #9

How many of the 7 billion do we need to watch the 7 billion. And who watches those watching the others? And what do they do when they have a question? It is an impossible world run by mad men who are chasing their tails. No one ever really noticed me. If I was asked a question that was open to interpretation I would reply with questions to better understand. Eventually no one asked me any questions. This was fine as my managers and theirs to the top did not know what I did. So my reviews were always very good. I always enjoyed my work (software quality assurance) and always made sure I was very busy so people would not bring me their problems. Now I am retired and can help others solve their problems, there are a lot to be solved. Have a problem? Just ask. I do not service mental defects, you already know what is wrong so fix it. The web is full of answers.