Discussions category

(Bill Ames) #22

The business model for ideapod is very obvious. You look at what they sell, the type of people they attract, the quality of their web interface, the people you meet there. If the combination works and makes sufficient income to pay for the web engines with some left over for the workers it is a good start at a business model. Some times a business wants to sell what it knows the best but soon finds that this is not enough and must expand or fade away. What will Ideapod be like in 5 years? That will be the measure of the success of their expanded business model.

know of a number of sustainable online education and publishing businesses

This is very interesting. I wonder how many of the ones that are successful have very narrow, limited target demographics? I bet the most successful appeal to people still breathing with some spare change in their pocket. Oh, and a working mind not hiding in some dark pit afraid of any mirror in the room. xD

(ACD) #23

It appears, in the absence of additional disclosure, that this is ideapod’s business plan.

(Chris Lagos) #24

In my view , the primary objective for ideapod should be to actually be an inviting place of exchange of thought.
To discourage hierarchical development because it gives solid shape definition which is not becoming, but rather , what is . When the modern eye sees what is , it’s like , eh … Page turn.

(Bill Ames) #25

I have no idea what this means.

(Chris Lagos) #26

First of all , I am here to discuss ideas and push myself to see with clarity . If that’s not what the goal of this effort is , I am here in error . I’m not seeking gurus or supposed authority figures . I think this is currently a tiny cul-de-sac with self imposed authority figures playing wack a mole to every new comers attempt to acclimate. There must be decorum by hierarchy if you actually want to grow .
Ok , people can grow and develop as sovereign individuals , not disciples . I suggest that when you see someone , see what they actually are , Potential . No, not money potential I mean potential. Their potential is for the society you are in so it’s for you too . Then over time , enough people will be here to think about a business model .
That’s how I see it anyhow .

(Bill Ames) #27

Ok, here is an idea I want to expand on. Convert Newton’s 1st 2nd and 3rd laws of motion to, not an object like a rock but an object like the mind. I see some commonality, our mind, our thinking, seems to have its own set of rules. Perhaps we can discover them? What do you think?

(Chris Lagos) #28

:movie_camera: Fishing for the Stone with Carl Jung - YouTube

:slight_smile:

(Bill Ames) #29

His works are remarkable. One thing that stands out is that there is no way to measure any of them. It is all opinion. Not very scientific. It is possible that the human mind has no rules and all humans are quite mad to some degree. Do we make our AIs in our image or do we constrain them with science?

The major concepts of analytical psychology as developed by Jung include:[73]

Archetype – a concept “borrowed” from anthropology to denote supposedly universal and recurring mental images or themes. Jung’s definitions of archetypes varied over time and have been the subject of debate as to their usefulness.

Archetypal images – universal symbols that can mediate opposites in the psyche, often found in religious art, mythology and fairy tales across cultures

Complex – the repressed organisation of images and experiences that governs perception and behaviour

Extraversion and introversion – personality traits of degrees of openness or reserve contributing to psychological type.[74]

Shadow – the repressed, therefore unknown, aspects of the personality including those often considered to be negative

Collective unconscious – aspects of unconsciousness experienced by all people in different cultures

Anima – the contrasexual aspect of a man’s psyche, his inner personal feminine conceived both as a complex and an archetypal image

Animus – the contrasexual aspect of a woman’s psyche, her inner personal masculine conceived both as a complex and an archetypal image

Self – the central overarching concept governing the individuation process, as symbolised by mandalas, the union of male and female, totality, unity. Jung viewed it as the psyche’s central archetype

Individuation – the process of fulfilment of each individual “which negates neither the conscious or unconscious position but does justice to them both”.[75]

Synchronicity – an acausal principle as a basis for the apparently random simultaneous occurrence of phenomena.[76]

(Chris Lagos) #30

How would you scientifically study the psyche ?
Are you governed by archetypes ?
A huge factor in your life is , what interests you , do you control your interest ? If not , what does ?
How would one scientifically examine consciousness ?

We humans have different personality types . One type is very conscientious . Conscientious types are content to do things like bookkeeping, data collection etc…
To them , the psyche can be reduced to neural networks, hormones , nutritional deficiency and what not.

I suspect life is more than a stack of facts and data .
I don’t posit futility of conscientious people . The world would be an unbearable mess without them . We desperately need them , perhaps more of them.

The other types of personality traits can theoretically be encapsulated in say , a well rounded person. The world view of that person would benefit in a different way from say a relatively multi dimensional paradigm , relative to others . Each type offers benefit.

I think your cursory online representation of Jung is a typical viewpoint of the more conscientious type.

Is the study of the operation of the mind science or philosophy?
(Barry McCormack) #31

I’m still learning how to use ideapod so I can’t offer much advice but I like the :heart:’s. I use them to indicate I like or found a comment interesting or entertaining. Having more options might be a good idea. A thumbs up and a thumbs down might be good but it should also include a not sure option or it becomes too black and white.

(Barry McCormack) #32

When I joined ideapod it was mainly to share my ideas and to see what ideas other people were sharing. I understand that ideas don’t necessarily have to be about physical problems that need solutions but that’s what interested me.
When I told my daughter about one of my ideas, I explained that many were immediately turned off because it sounded too technical and that seemed to scare them. She suggested a simpler way of doing the same thing and this was what I was hoping to find here but mostly what I’ve run into are opinions.
Of course everyone has the right to their opinions but I was expecting more constructive ideas and suggestions.
I haven’t been a member long so maybe things will change as I speak with others.
Most of the posts I see on Facebook from ideapod have good advice from historical figures and that’s entertaining but rarely are there any new ideas. Certainly not many practical, potentially world changing ideas. Big ideas like ways to cut waste or conserve power that haven’t been thought of before for instance.

Identifying, describing and discussing ideas in a messy world
(ACD) #33

@BillAmes
I do not think that ideapod’s purpose will be found by investigating definitions of the word: idea. I think we all know what is meant by the word. Instead, let us come up with ideas for ideapod’s purpose and how they may be achieved.

(Bill Ames) #34

Wonderful! I am sure that you think you know what the word means and it obviously has more than one meaning and I am sure that if you look at what other meanings it has in other languages there will be more. What is meant for “ideas for ideapods purpose?” I do not know what you mean by that.

(ACD) #35

@justinbrown
As an example, read through the one entitled AMEN.