Emotional agility: Why you need to stop trying to be so positive

(Genefe Navilon) #1

Read the full post here: https://ideapod.com/emotional-agility-why-you-need-to-stop-trying-to-be-so-positive/

“Emotional Agility.” This is perhaps a term you haven’t heard of before.

But it’s time you familiarize yourself with it.

(Bill Ames) #2

If a child is appropriately raised to manage their feelings, to feel compassion, empathy, patience, all the attributes that make them good people they will not enter the adult world as the typical basket cases we have now. I wonder how today’s 20-year-olds would do if transported to 1955 among others of this age? Could they read a newspaper, write a letter, get a job? The world is different today, but “character” still is the measure of the man or woman.

(Justin Brown) #3

@BillAmes I see many people write as you do, suggesting that the youth of the current generation lack many characteristics that people from earlier generations had.

However, I see the opposite written many times as well, where people suggest that the youth of today are more creative and competent than the youth of previous generations. I suppose it’s hard to evaluate.

I really enjoyed this article by @genefe on “emotional agility”. A few years ago we published the following article by @Ruda:

It’s been one of our quite widely-read articles.

This article on “emotional agility” is a pretty good companion piece, providing good advice for those who want to give up on “positive thinking” and embrace something a bit more grounded.

(Bill Ames) #4

I see an article like this “…positive thinking…” differently because I see the words differently. To me, positive thinking is what the astronauts did in Apollo 13; what they did to get home was “positive thinking.” They had something to do and took a very positive attitude about its success; their lives depended on it. In my life, it was always important to keep on attacking the problem, to be persistent. I even demonstrated that by my first pushing for improvements to Ideapod. My profession was to find problems, the “bugs” in both hardware and software. I was always sure things could be better. I get disappointed when I meet someone here or on Facebook, try to start a conversation, and find closed minds if I challenge their beliefs with technical facts they stop talking. That is why I avoid talking about politics or religion; they involve many beliefs. I will stick to science, science fiction, classical music, and my stories, the stories I am writing. There are still creative people in the world but fewer. If you observe a significant movie studio do a remake of something 20-30 years old, you tend to wonder why not something new? Where are the writers and actors and directors that compare to what was around when I was young, there do not seem to be any to speak of? When I look at the number of different people posting in this Idea Journal, and I see mostly me, I know that is not right. I think it is appreciated (I just got a new badge.) Finally, I tend to read words; literally, I assume that people use the words correctly. Here is a definition from the web:

How can we develop positive thinking?

Only use positive words when talking. …
Push out all feelings that aren’t positive. …
Use words that evoke strength and success. …
Practice positive affirmation. …
Direct your thoughts. …
Believe you will succeed. …
Analyze what went wrong.

More items…•Oct 12, 2009

When I see a headline like:
The shaman Rudá Iandé reveals the dark side of “positive thinking.”
Rudá Iandé reveals the truth about “positive thinking,” and what to do instead.

My reaction is why anyone would disagree with the items in my list? Words have meaning; perhaps his “positive thinking” has a different sense? Thank you for taking the time to respond.