Help me use Ideapod more effectively

The word of the day = Demographics

From the web, we can learn, “Demographics are characteristics of a population. Characteristics such as race, ethnicity, gender, age, education, profession, occupation, income level, and marital status, are all typical examples of demographics that are used in surveys.”

When I post something on Facebook or Twitter, I have some idea who might hear what I have to say. If I post something in a fan wiki I am reasonably sure that my audience will understand my opinions, no real guarantee they will agree with me.

If I go to my favorite web sites, I can see advertisements or click bait that is supposed to appeal to people, like me I guess, that will visit the page.

As I go through the potential topics I am considering as suitable for Ideapod I find I am missing some essential information. What are the demographics of the typical Ideapod visitors? If I look at the keywords used in the titles and introductions for content already published on Ideapod I get a feeling they are targeting a relatively narrow audience. I am requesting to be able to review some data on Ideapod demographics.

I would also like to be able to categorize my posts as “posting a problem,” “posting a solution” or “asking a question.” I am sure there are other categories but being able to get to the heart of a post is key to me deciding if I want to read them.

Here are some statistics on Ideapod to help you decide what to share via the Contribute page.

Overall Ideapod audience

We share the articles published through social media and have a large audience. The vast majority of people read articles without coming into the Ideapod Discussions area to make comments.

In the last 30 days:

• 2.3 million readers
  • Average session duration 31 secs
  • USA (31%), India (14%), UK (8%), Canada (5%), Australia (5%), Philippines (4%), Malaysia (3%)…

See below for age and sex breakdown:

We’ve managed to build up a distribution network sharing mainly self-improvement articles. We’ve got a strong focus providing advice on dealing with change. We’ve also got some articles on practical philosophy. Mainly it’s articles of a quite general focus due to the nature of our distribution network. It’s difficult to drill down much further than this.

However, I can tell you that one of our primary goals is to sign people up to our email list where we send daily emails. The content we send out roughly mirrors what we share on social media.

In the last 30 days, 23,000 people have visited Ideapod by clicking on a link in one of our daily emails. Here’s their age and sex:

Here’s where they live:

With regards to contributing an article, it’s best to focus on the email list. Here are the top 5 most engaged articles from the email list in the last 30 days:

I appreciate being able to see Ideapod demographics. I did some net research to see if I could extract some meaning from the data. The article by Thomas Armstrong (below) was very helpful in putting things in perspective. It is not my objective to make changes in Ideapod, what I need to do is convince myself that there is a potential audience for the material I am motivated to create.

I see sufficient potential (just looking at the age and sex distribution for the world) and only those with access to Ideapod from that population works for me.

From the web, we see some of the stages of life and use them to improve the understanding of Ideapod demographics.

Credit to: Thomas Armstrong, The Human Odyssey: Navigating the Twelve Stages of Life. New York: Sterling, 2008.

Adolescence (Ages 12-20): Passion – The biological event of puberty unleashes a powerful set of changes in the adolescent body that reflect themselves in a teenager’s sexual, emotional, cultural, and/or spiritual passion. Adolescence passion thus represents a significant touchstone for anyone who is seeking to reconnect with their deepest inner zeal for life.

Early Adulthood (Ages 20-35): Enterprise – It takes enterprise for young adults to accomplish their many responsibilities, including finding a home and mate, establishing a family or circle of friends, and/or getting a good job. This principle of enterprise thus serves us at any stage of life when we need to go out into the world and make our mark.

Midlife (Ages 35-50): Contemplation – After many years in young adulthood of following society’s scripts for creating a life, people in midlife often take a break from worldly responsibilities to reflect upon the deeper meaning of their lives, the better to forge ahead with new understanding. This element of contemplation represents an important resource that we can all draw upon to deepen and enrich our lives at any age.

Mature Adulthood (Ages 50-80): Benevolence – Those in mature adulthood have raised families, established themselves in their work life, and become contributors to the betterment of society through volunteerism, mentorships, and other forms of philanthropy. All of humanity benefits from their benevolence. Moreover, we all can learn from their example to give more of ourselves to others.

Late Adulthood (Age 80+): Wisdom – Those with long lives have acquired a rich repository of experiences that they can use to help guide others. Elders thus represent the source of wisdom that exists in each of us, helping us to avoid the mistakes of the past while reaping the benefits of life’s lessons.

That’s an interesting overview of the stages of life.

I just posted this which provides a bit more context on what’s coming: