How a game of musical chairs can help explain our broken economy

(Justin Brown) #1

Here’s a fascinating article:

Please check it out. I’m interested in discussing negative interest rates. What are the barriers to implementing something along the lines of what Eisenstein is suggesting?

(Mark's Myth) #3

The question lies in his close…

“The hopeless cycle of debt that oppresses people and nations alike is not a law of nature. It is a product of the rules of our game—of financial musical chairs. The means are within our grasp to play a new game, in which everyone has a seat at the circle.”

What I find curious is the transition from where we are now to where it may be a “better” economic solution in the future. It’s this liminal space we are living now trying to figure out how to make this bridge as the foundations start to crumble.

(Bill Ames) #4

It seems that it wants to make changes that will not have everyone participating. A better way of doing something can not have any opponents unless they do not see it as better. There are countries in the world that think our way is not right. If we propose and start doing things our new way can we expect everyone to buy in? As I read the post I can see the logic, the common sense, I do not see it becoming real. Not because it is not possible but because it is not seen as better by too many. How do you change the mind of a whole planet? Also, perhaps there are even more important changes to be made that will totally eliminate the problem this post was highlighting. Can we just skip to the most best solution?