How to find your life purpose: 8 weird questions

(Justin Brown) #1

Read the full article here: https://ideapod.com/8-questions-help-find-purpose-life/

Some lucky people know their life purpose from an early age. Not me. For years, I searched for my purpose in life but could never figure it out. Then I realized that the way I was going about it was all wrong. You see, most people assume that a purpose is the same as a…

(ACD) #2

I wanted to be a medical doctor when I matriculated at university and did all of the required coursework as well as voluntary extracurricular work, such as employment in a hospital as an orderly and in a biology research lab. All of this effort and experience told me that what I thought I wanted was not for me. What I wanted, instead, is an unstructured life of pursuing projects opportunistically. Some may think of it as entrepreneurship, and this does capture some of it. I know I am doing what I want to do because it is unique to me and difficult, if not impossible, to categorize. It is not a life for everyone, so I hardly recommend it. I think you find what you want by honestly pursuing what you think you want and then by honestly assessing what you have done.

(Justin Brown) #3

@ACD I wonder to what extent building up expertise and autonomy is important to you in finding your purpose in life.

I think that when people build up their expertise, even in “boring” professions, they are able to have more autonomy in their jobs. When we have autonomy and genuine control over the outcomes of our creative work, we are more likely to find fulfilment in what we do.

For you, pursuing an “unstructured life” is probably important because of your personality type. But probably the expertise you’ve built up in what you do is what enabled you to become good at it so you could really enjoy your autonomy.

For others, they’re better suited to exercising autonomy in more structured roles.

(ACD) #4

I could not agree more. As for expertise, I leave it for others to judge. I attempt many things in which I have no documented expertise. I think my expertise may be not being deterred by such criteria. Definitely not a way of life for everyone.

(Chris Lagos) #5

Picking a life path can be psychologically difficult for a young person because, giving up the entity of pure potential is reductive at face value , although being pure potential has promise but no utility.