Ideapod is soliciting "raw thoughts, unfinished as they may be" and I will do what I can to help fill the void

One of the problems I have had all my life is finding others to have a conversation with. There are reasons. I grew up on science fiction and made a living doing things that had their foundation in science. My last position before retiring was spending 14 years developing mass spectrometers. I do miss working, all my life I enjoyed what I did; going to work was like getting paid to do my hobbies.

I have many science-related hobbies and when in a conversation with someone I am likely to attempt to discuss all of them at once. It is not difficult, and if I connect with someone after years separation, I can pick up our last conversation without missing a beat. Unfortunately, they most often have no recollection of the conversation.

My science and science fiction was based on technology and how what we were currently doing and might do more in the future. There was nothing related to philosophy or religion, so that made no impression on me. The heroes in the stories had to do real things in real worlds to accomplish their goals. You may ask what about all the high fantasy based fiction, and I point out that to the unimaginative that technology often appears like magic.

I am currently writing a science fiction screenplay and two or three other imaginative stories. Doing such has allowed me to create rational explanations of how the universe and all the laws within came about and where our dreams come from. I am a prolific dreamer and remember a lot and use its ideas in my creative writing.

I am always trying to learn from the people I talk with; I may take a position on a topic I know they do not agree with (even if I do) because I hope they will educate me on why I may believe what I do. I am learning that the world is not black and white but a lot of shades of gray. Some movies or TV shows that I once thought were the best; now I see they have many flaws. Much of what I enjoyed is still good, but not everything is as good as I once thought.

Even my opinion of Ideapod is different today than it was when I discovered it years ago.

For the science types out there, how does a photon move through that block of glass without getting lost along the way? How about, the new chess AI, are we learning from it how to play better chess or is that something we can not know? Why does the universe need the quantum eraser to work, what if it did not, what would it matter? And finally, Mahler’s 1st is best, agree or disagree?

Like a tineid to the flame. What is the best way to gain a transfer of ideas here on Ideapod?

Hey, Bill,
I too was involved in Science type things and graduated in 1960 with a B.A.Sc. in the Aeronautical option of what was known as Engineering Physics, (later renamed Engineering Science, because we took a lot of chemistry as well). I never went further because of money problems, and because I already had my first stuff in space at age 26! Later on I had a major role in the design and development of the Canadarm on the US Space Shuttle.

Life handed me a number of curves and, after early retirement and decades in the poor house, I am now a guided writer on the meaning of life based on both Science and Philosophy, plus my life experience that include five heart attacks, several mini-strokes and two out-of-body experiences.

Perhaps you could look at my Amazon author site as Jesuis Laplume and decide on whether we should talk about Pure Information, consciousness and why Science says there is strange action at a distance when Ancient Philosophy shows us this is really a reality of the universe as it is.

Your Science Fiction books could likely be richer and more fun if I had a chance to talk to you.

Try looking at https://www.amazon.com/Jesuis-Laplume/e/B00DCFMZD0/ and you can decide to contact me. LoL
“If you aren’t laughing at life, you don’t understand it well enough - Yet!”

Interesting Amazon site, it has a lot of questions. Your “About” also asks questions. I believe I know their answers; I am just a servant and am where I need to be.

I sent you a FB friend request, you can know me better by what I post. What are your hobbies?

My hobbies used to be the design and performance equations for home-built aircraft, dimensional analysis and astronomy. However, I study and read (usually many hours a day) on anything to do with the universe and our Special place within it. This ranges from consciousness to possible equations for quantum gravity. LoL
BTW, I strongly recommend that all read Dean Radin’s latest book “Real Magic” to see where things previously thought to be Magic, or even impossible, are now being shown to be likely - using good Science and probability processes. Have fun but expect that you might have to crucify some of your favorite beliefs! LoL No physical crucifixion required!

Good points. Having grown up on science fiction I was totally aware that anytime you saw “magic” it was just advanced science. Perhaps we will discover that “God” exists when we discover that there are some things that science can not do and after a trillion years of research it still cannot be done.

Recently I have been asking on some forums if physics precluded time from being speeded up. We can slow it down, why not make it go faster? You thoughts?

Bill

I have always thought that this whole assumption that the ‘speed’ or ‘velocity’ (now including direction) of time was constant was a useful initial assumption, but nothing more than that.I do know that it is helpful to make simplifying assumptions, up front, as long as we later remember that they were purposeful, simplifying assumptions.

I decided that consideration other things were more important, although I still think that we should remember the caution given to us that ‘spacetime’ is real, but a separate ‘time’ and ‘space’ is NOT real (until we put them back together again). Have you ever ‘seen’ a decent set of arguments about that supposed reality that you accepted as likely correct; I haven’t!!

Since much of my time was spent in helping others find better questions to ask, after their efforts trying to solve the original questions were going nowhere, I have heard all sorts of justifications (usually by middle manager and accountant types) why it was the inadequacy of those trying to get useful answers (not the wrong questions) that was the problem; the question was obviously correct. My father advised me that not only was it true that

“To each question there was a simple, obvious answer; simple, obvious and wrong!”

but that maybe we should skeptically look at the questions as well. He had evolved a deep-thinking process after years at sea and then in the deep bush as a guide. He also met a few of the shamans in local Objibwa tribes and they were rather amazing in being able to clearly state better questions.

I have met many top people in their different fields and they were all humble; but with wry senses of humor. More than once they reminded me that the only thing that ‘know-it-all’ types didn’t know was that they knew nothing at all! LoL I have tended to be skeptical about my own level of understanding ever since! LoL

Can you address this question please?

Hey Bill, I could very well relate to what you’ve said that it’s indeed hard to find so many people who can talk deep subjects. I am steeped more in Math and Philosophy rather than the sciences. Physics though is my favorite branch of science. Quantum technology excites me as its implications for the real world is huge. The nature of Reality is quantum and not linear.

Talk: We can slow down time by moving or getting in a strong gravity field. Now, how can we speed up time?