Incredibly rare photo of a bald eagle stuns the world

(Genefe Navilon) #1

Originally published at https://ideapod.com/incredibly-rare-photo-of-a-bald-eagle-stuns-the-world/

When photographer Steve Biro set out to try his luck at capturing images in the Canadian Raptor Conservatory, he probably didn’t expect to produce such an incredible once-in-a-lifetime image.

And yet here it is: A stunning image of a bald eagle “staring daggers” into the camera. Bruce the bald eagle is immortalized languidly skimming a pond, majestically reflected on the waters as it spread its elegant wings.

A picture only nature could paint.

(Steve Biro/Instagram)This is only one of the many shots Biro took of the raptor, who’s been his muse for a month. But it is this shot that went viral on social media after appearing on the front page of Reddit.

The amateur photographer is apparently “overwhelmed” by the attention his shot has garnered online.

He tells BBC:

“He’s squared up perfectly, both wings are touching the water.

“That photograph was the one that struck me as as little more special than the others. But I still didn’t even know how it would resonate with people.”

But there’s something more fascinating about the picture.

The raptors in the Canadian Raptor Conservancy in Ontario are usually undisturbed by photographers. Which is probably why Biro felt the bird didn’t appreciate his presence very much.

He says:

“He was actually trying to brush me away from where I was perched.”

“I could feel the breeze from his wings as he flew over me. The other people who were there were gasping as he came over my head. It was really quite exhilarating.”

Perhaps even birds have their fair share of bad hair days, too.

Biro loves taking pictures of nature and landscapes. But he professes having a soft spot for birds, saying:

“There’s something about birds that to me is captivating.”

“The way they hunt, the way they interact. Sometimes you’ll see them do things. They’ll be playful, just like children. It’s amazing how you’ll see aspects of humanity in birds – and in animals overall.”

Fun Facts about the Bald Eagle

1. The Bald Eagle is the national emblem of the United States.

In reality, however, it does not represent freedom. Bald Eagles are known to harass smaller birds and steal their prey.

Benjamin Franklin may have even once said:

“For my own part, I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen the representative of our country. He is a bird of bad moral character. He does not get his living honestly. … Besides he is a rank coward: The little king bird not bigger than a sparrow, attacks him boldly, and drives him out of the district.”

2. It’s actually not bald.

The Bald Eagle gets its name its white head contrasts its black body, making it appear bald from afar.

3. It is huge.

The Bald Eagle has wingspread of about 7 feet or 2.13 meters. However, its body is much smaller, at only 34 to 43 inches. They normally weigh around 3 to 6.5 kilos.

4. It is only found in North America.

The bald eagle is exclusive to North America. It ranges most of Canada and Alaska, all throughout the United States and Northern Mexico.

5. It went close to extinction once.

Bald Eagles were almost on the brink of extinction, mainly due to habitat loss. However, the 1973 Endangered Species Act and considerable conservation efforts helped restore their numbers.

They are now considered a symbol of what humans can accomplish with effort, determination, and better environmental legislation.