Intentions vs actions: 6 reasons why your intentions don't matter

(Justin Brown) #1

Read the full article here: https://ideapod.com/7-brutally-honest-reasons-why-your-intentions-dont-matter-but-your-actions-do/

In the world I live in, intentions mean very little. Your actions do, though. This seems obvious. We’re living during a time of constant propaganda and lies, so it makes sense to judge people based on what they do rather than what they say or intend to do. We could take this further. What matters…

(Justin Brown) #2

@eleprocon I’ve been thinking about #lovestory and a theme I think worth exploring is covered in this article.

Handwritten love letters is a really beautiful idea. Putting more consciousness (our awareness) into how we communicate can only be a good thing.

However, lately I’ve been thinking a lot about intention vs action. About how ultimately, our thoughts aren’t all that important. What matters are our actions.

When you think of it that way, expressing the love we feel for others isn’t all that important - whether that be through handwritten letters or whatever technology we have at our disposal. Rather, it’s how we behave, how we treat them, when we’re not even thinking about it at all.

What do you think? I know you put a big emphasis on words.

Also, have you read the article above? It’s one of my favorite on Ideapod. I think the way Sam Harris behaved in this exchange, and how we speaks about it afterwards, is truly deplorable.

(Mark's Myth) #3

@justinbrown not so sure it is so easy to contextualize this notion into such a simple statement… “our thoughts or intent are irrelevant while our actions tell the entire story.”

This seems like another statement that sends us into the tailspin of what comes first the thought or the action?

I’m not convinced there are any clear demarcations between our thoughts and actions.

It may well be that our inability to think clearly and articulate those thoughts with the best words (and intention) that incite the receiver are what lead to an action, inaction or reaction that will set the tone for how the actions are interpreted… which rekindles the cycle once again.

I think the biggest challenge we each have is interpreting truth. Who’s truth and how we received it.

Whether it is guised in thought, words or actions.

For me this conversation loops back on the topic of duality and how we seem to reduce things to black and white, good and evil, right or wrong… https://ideapod.com/duality-or-non-duality-that-is-the-question/

(Mark's Myth) #4