Iran - catalyst for global crisis?

(ACD) #1

“Comparing the Revolutionary generation, where politics played a major role in everyone’s lives, with the post-revolutionary generation who remains rather apolitical and care much less about the political lives of their parents, I can clearly see a pattern where passive Western values have gained a foothold in the minds of the younger generation.”

This is a long article which provides the reader with insight into a part of the world which seems to be much more important lately.

(Bill Ames) #2

The people involved in what happens in the article, how they live, what they do and believe, rather different than what I have experienced. How long would it take for these people, following their beliefs, if left to their ways, how long would it take for them to land one of them on the moon or cure cancer? A community will either not change or will change. If they do not change they will forever be the same. People born into this community will not have a vote on staying or not. If they change, to enter a world where all are traveling into the future they will no longer be what they started as, they will be different. Perhaps it is the destiny of humanity to break into two groups, those that accept change and those that do not. Those that do not will inherit a polluted dirt ball while the rest explore and populate the universe. Which group is going to live a better life?

(ACD) #3

This is a fair question if overly simplified and does not, to my mind, imply a foregone conclusion.

(ACD) #4

“Global capitalism is at war with Iran. The supranational corporatist empire.”

(ACD) #5

“… if the US does indeed retaliate and proceed with sanctions against European banks, then the global trade war is about to turn far, far uglier.”

(Bill Ames) #6

I do not understand why Iran wants to keep going with atomic weapons instead of becoming a wonderful successful country?

(ACD) #7

Iran’s leaders say Iran wants nuclear energy.

(Bill Ames) #8

They can have all the energy they want, building nuclear power plants is a well done technology. It does not require atom bombs.

(ACD) #9

The US does not want Iran to refine materials used as fuel for reactors.

(Bill Ames) #10

I think we offered to show them how to do that in such a way that atom bombs would not be a byproduct.

(ACD) #11

This was the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

(Bill Ames) #12

In May 2019 the IAEA certified that Iran was abiding by the main terms of the deal, though questions were raised about how many advanced centrifuges Iran was allowed to have, as that was only loosely defined in the deal.

Poor deal when important details are not covered.

(ACD) #13

So Iran’s leaders are trying to decide whether to start developing an independent capability.

(Bill Ames) #14

That is fine as long as it does not allow atom bombs.

(ACD) #15

How about nuclear weapons for Pakistan?

(Bill Ames) #16

They already have them and are not likely to use them as those who they might use them on have even more.

(ACD) #17

So why not Iran or Turkey?

(Bill Ames) #18

Iran wants to eliminate Israel and does not care what would happen if they did that. Turkey is part of NATO and has access to all the atom bombs needed to protect itself from anyone.

(ACD) #19

Israel wants the US to act against Iran. israel has nuclear weapons. Should they have them?

(ACD) #20

Turkey may leave NATO.