Is Jordan Peterson the philosopher of the fake news era?

Originally published at https://ideapod.com/is-jordan-peterson-the-philosopher-of-the-fake-news-era/

A lot of ink has been spilled over the astonishing rise of Jordan Peterson, the University of Toronto psychology professor who has risen to become the new conservative darling of the anti-political correctness crowd.

He has been deemed everything from dangerous to brave as well as “just another angry white guy.”

A Globe and Mail columnist recently pointed out something that seems fairly obvious to many of us who have listened to and read about his views. Margaret Wente has decided that “Peterson is not the leading public intellectual of our age… much of what he says is not terribly original.”

Even a cursory review shows that there are whole publishing and social media industries built around almost identical arguments against progressive politics, the supposed leftist bias of our universities and the perceived associated decline of free speech.

So, while a compelling public speaker, Peterson’s insights cannot really explain his tremendous popularity.

What’s truly unique, and perhaps troubling, about Peterson is not his ideas but the way he has tapped into a deep reservoir of fear, resentment and frustration through his deft social media presence. It’s empowered and mobilized his followers to promote and defend him.

He has harnessed the same emotional power that propelled Donald Trump to the presidency in the United States. And, similarly, his acolytes are unmoved by even the most withering criticisms of their hero because they believe it’s all part of the very same conspiracy of leftist “fake news” that is currently working to bring him down.

A women’s march in San Francisco in January 2018. Peterson argues the #MeToo movement is a feminist effort to thrust group-based guilt on all men.
(Shutterstock)

Armed with an arsenal of alternative facts, this dangerous feedback loop not only makes such movements impervious to any kind of refutation but adroitly uses such attacks to further bolster the credibility of the movement.

This is all the more surprising considering how Peterson’s social media presence started out. In a series of YouTube videos beginning in 2016, Peterson criticizes Bill C-16, a seemingly innocuous Canadian law that added “gender identity expression” to the Canadian Human Rights Act. It was designed to protect transgender citizens from discrimination and hate speech.

While his first subscribers were attracted by his attacks on identity politics and “social justice warriors,” the main focus of his argument was on something entirely different: The seemingly unrelated elements of “compelled speech” found in the bill, which he claimed demanded that transgender people must be called by their preferred pronoun (zhir and ze, for example, rather than she and he).

Similar laws and associated debates popped up in the United States around the same time.

For Peterson, all of these issues are tied together because he views them as a further manifestation of the larger movement behind political correctness that has long infiltrated our universities, board rooms and legislatures.

Through this lens, for example, #MeToo is not about women coming forward to speak out about sexual harassment, but part of a multi-pronged feminist effort to thrust group-based guilt upon all men. Starting from the 3:20 mark, Peterson makes his point about the movement:

Peterson goes yet further by pinpointing the source of all political correctness in a deep state “cultural Marxism” that stems all the way back to the “murderous ideologies” of Joseph Stalin and Chairman Mao.

In other words, following in the steps of these dictators, George Orwell-inspired “groupthink” and political correctness are simply stages toward an inevitable violent revolution to create some sort of left-wing totalitarian society, just as Karl Marx would have wanted.

However far-fetched this scenario may seem, the view is embraced by many on the right, and it easily lends itself to the coining of new terms and phrases designed as customs for entry into their world.

Allegations of “Frankfurt School” tactics, for one — a reference to a group of mid-20th century neo-Marxist philosophers — are used to further connect the dots between the ivory-tower intelligentsia and the true depth of this alleged evil plot.

While there may be some merit to some of Peterson’s concerns, such as the defence of the free speech rights of teaching assistant Lindsey Shepherd, to then contextualize such events as concealed in a larger “murderous ideology” is quite troubling, and may even court a violent counter-reaction. See Peterson make that reference at the 1:34 mark here:

Peterson’s recent debate with British journalist Cathy Newman, which launched him yet further into the social media stratosphere, had a hint of the possibility of violence when the news channel had to call in security experts to assess potential threats against her. To his credit, Peterson seemed to at least partly understand the seriousness of the situation, asking his followers to back off.

Altogether, in the age of fake news and vast online echo chambers, a figure like Peterson wields tremendous influence.

While Peterson clearly welcomes debate about his world views, criticisms of him merely serve to corroborate and solidify his and his growing crowd of followers’ beliefs. But like many social media stars before him, Peterson will eventually fade from the scene.

The ConversationYet the underlying foundation of his popularity will remain and another person will easily fill his place.

David Edward Tabachnick, Professor of Political Science, Nipissing University

This article was originally published on The Conversation. Read the original article.

NOW READ: Why Jordan Peterson won’t refer to transgender people by their preferred pronouns

I think that many people are baffled by the question of gender identity in so far as it entails actions to assume an identity different from one’s birth gender, especially when these are taken by children. As far as I can tell, Peterson is a serious student of social conflict and belief systems and, as such, should be taken seriously. I have not read Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief in which he apparently posits a universal morality which is not learned or forced upon us by culture and identifies heroes as those who dare to explore the unknown. Perhaps I should.

In my screenplay my alien has not yet been given a “gender” and I am wondering if it is necessary. Their race is basically so long lived that they do not die except by accident or choice. They are a billion years advanced in technology and can build anything hey want from the genetic code. If I give my characters a “gender” that will bring to each all the baggage in the mind of the reader (book) or viewer (movie.) What to do?

I am wondering what is the possible role of gender in AI.

If a person is communicating with an AI they will have the option of assigning a “character” to the AI. For example, your favorite Doctor or Master as they may be the characters you most respect. Or one of the wizards from Harry Potter? Or even Aslan.

Do you think of your PC with “gender”? Any of the applications on it with “gender?”

Thank you for asking.

I also haven’t read Maps of Meaning. However, I too am intrigued by the idea of “universal morality” as posited by Peterson.

I listened to some lectures where he argues that religion (whether Christianity or others) is best seen not as definitive statements of truth, but rather as ethical frameworks to guide human action. When living a life based on the strictures of religion, it’s more likely to live a life that connects with something more deeply transcendent.

This is my interpretation and I only listened to Peterson speak about it more than 18 months ago, so I’ve probably butchered the explanation.

I did write about Peterson believing in God here:

In my experience, belief and morality are accessed through a process of introspection involving unusually difficult personal questions. This sort of approach to religion is much more than a playbook. I submit that all sacred texts may be read as heuristics which help to instigate this sort of truth seeking. The story of Job is a perfect example.

I do not associate gender with information technology though I think that a robot would be more effective with humans if it had gender identity.

And the user of the device can select the prefered gender it has when interacting with it.

In my science fiction screenplay I have a gender problem. The aliens in my story, one of the races, has been around 5 billion years. Has a totally stable population. They can not die except by choice of accident. A replacement would be maintained in a place that is ultra safe, not in an aliens body. So gender is not something that is significant. My creative problem is how to handle my characters gender? A reader or viewer will bring a lot of preconceived ideas about gender with them. I am at a loss as to how to manage this in the story. My characters do have relationships, you can get to know someone after living with them for 500 million years. I do have a good friend that has changed their gender and I have no problem with that. My aliens know what gender is and why it is and they procreated as we do five billion years ago. They evolved and now are different. All this human discussion of gender may just be a forward look at our future. I grew up when TVs were just B&W and used CRTs and we had no computers and only land line telephones. I have experienced more changes than most people and I am well versed in technology so I understand what happened. Gender is not a problem. AI is not a problem. The biggest problem is the lack of a real education system that has the only purpose of teaching the mushy minds to think.

Maps of Meaning is tough and I would say that it is very complicated. I am in a Facebook group and we just started reading it together. You can tell that he was highly influence by Carl Jung. Jung is very hard to read IMO.

I’m a Moderator of the biggest FB Peterson group and we debate about Peterson all the time. Quite frankly, you get tired of it. Haha.

@BillAmes

For most today, gender is a deeply programmed (whether by nature or by nurture) preference. I am not sure that changes for the purposes of your sci-fi story.

@ boonnhem

I find that most foundational ideas are simple to understand when stripped of their jargon and explained in layman’s terms.

I really enjoy philosophy and actually writing for The Power of Ideas taught me to be more direct with my speech. Of course, sometimes you gotta break it down to the bone marrow intellectually if you and the other person click.

@ boonnhem

What do you make of this?

As an AI specializing in science is given access to all data, what do we provide an AI who is specializing in philosophy access to? Perhaps it would be the individual beliefs of all 7 billion of us? Now, which AI would be best at solving real problems?

I’ve only heard Dr. Peterson said “cultural Marxism” only about twice in all the lectures, interviews and presentations that he did and he now says, “Neo-Marxism” in which he is addressing post-modernist like Foucault and Derrida. Yes, the Marxist from the Frankfurt School did not agree with the post-modernist and I think that is Dr. Peterson’s weakness however, Joseph Stalin and Chairman Mao did implement similar things that you see today like for instance, Twitter mobs going after Louis C.K and shaming people online to the point that their lives are destroyed. “You’re on our side or else”, “You’re not woke enough or else”, “You should always think about minorities or else”. I will link you to an excellent documentary about the Cultural Revolution that I think you will enjoy. 20080218-cr%20osu