Is the study of the operation of the mind science or philosophy?

(Bill Ames) #1

Continuing the discussion from Discussions category:

You have made my point. All the mumbo jumbo in that list is not science, just opinions of what is probably a brilliant mind not constrained by facts. Scientists try to prove their ideas through tests and measurements. People who deliver solutions through science are usually recognized and rewarded. You can find stores that offer the products of their work all over the world. I do not think there are any “philosophy” stores where you go in with a problem and leave with a proven solution.

The study of the operation of the physical mind is very difficult, what is consciousness is the goal. Do you know of any non-scientific explanations that will help us understand what consciousness actually is?

(Chris Lagos) #2

I would start with actually reading Jung’s work, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy , umm study the arts , sciences , meditations …

I would also offer that you don’t go to the science store my friend . You are governed by archetypal themes and various mumbo jumbo that compel you .

(Bill Ames) #3

A drug store is a science store. Best Buy is a science store. Any auto dealer is a science store.

I have my own philosophy, much better than those old guys who did not have a scientific background and had to explain everything with just opinions. At one time the philosophers thought the world was flat and the center of the universe.

The problem is that a lot of people are satisfied with opinion and accept it as fact when it is not fact at all. That usually has a negative result. And I am not including religion in philosophy. Religion is a fact that by definition can not be tested.

Now a lot of people do not understand science but believe they understand opinions. For them it is necessary to present the world to them using people they respect that are just opinion people. There is nothing wrong with that, these people deserve a fair life and to be part of the world. They are in their part of the bell curve.

(Chris Lagos) #4

Good luck playing wack a mole, I’ll just step away from your lawn. Backing up slowly.

The art of disagreeing (community guidelines)
(Bill Ames) #5

No moles, no problem. However the adventurous mole may find new rewards.