Is Wikipedia propaganda?

(ACD) #1

" User accounts and IP addresses may be blocked from editing to protect Wikipedia from disruption."

“A report in Huffington Post recently revealed the case of Wikipedia editor Ed Sussman, who was paid by media clients such as NBC and Axios to help diminish critical material. Paid editors operating in a similar manner to Sussman have worked on behalf of CNN contributor Hilary Rosen and the CEOs of Reddit and Intel, among other clients.”

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/03/26/wikipedia-editors-paid-to-protect-political-tech-and-media-figures/

“The editors who can work harmoniously in pursuit of this ideal goal of neutral “consensus” can make editing Wikipedia a wonderful and productive experience. Yet in other cases, it can result in ongoing ‘edit wars’ in which groups of headstrong editors group into dueling factions that duke it out for supremacy of their version of the page—“consensus” achieved not through impartiality but through the greater endurance of one side of partisans…administrators and longtime editors have developed a fortress mentality in which they see new editors as dangerous intruders who will wreck their beautiful encyclopedia, and thus antagonize and even persecute them. This attitude comes from the fact that some of these intruders are indeed trolls, partisans, paid hacks, or incompetents… Wikipedians’ general indifference or even hostility to outside opinion.”

(Bill Ames) #2

Wikipedia is edited by biased humans so it must be biased. When I use it I try to focus on factual information and opinions I agree with. I do not edit it as I am human and biased. I have found a lot of useful factual information so I continue to support it. Eventually it will be replaced by AIs and that will be interesting. It is currently a tool, if you learn how to use it you can make progress, no matter how dull and awkward it may be.

(ACD) #3

Larry Sanger is a co-founder of Wikipedia and author of the the following petition entitled Declaration of Digital Independence:

https://larrysanger.org/2019/06/declaration-of-digital-independence/

Declaration of Digital Independence
(Bill Ames) #4

This itself false information to misdirect the minds who are curious.

(ACD) #5

Please explain in simple terms.

(Bill Ames) #6

For me to explain I would have to reference things off topic. Things about me, my life experience, my views. All would be off topic and it is not desirable to post content that is off topic, “Is Wikipedia biased?” I am sure you will accept this standard. Just accept what I say as my opinion backed by other sources.

(ACD) #7

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-09/jeffrey-epsteins-wikipedia-page-stealth-edited-remove-ties-democrats

(Bill Ames) #8

Perhaps this question is best answered by exploring a different source and comparing.

(ACD) #9

" In the wake of Jeffrey Epstein’s weekend arrest, an observant Twitter user noticed that someone has edited the billionaire pedophile’s Wikipedia page to remove all mention of Democrats who have flown on the “Lolita Express” - the nickname given to his private Boeing 727 jet which was reportedly outfitted with a bed."