My name is Chris and here's my who's who

Hi all

My name’s Chris.

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and work as a Team Leader in a service responsible for providing care and support for people with an intellectual disability.

I love to read and learn new things. I am open to new ideas and ways of doing things and everything.

I look forward to reading what new and exciting topics come up and to being a contributor to some discussions. Never done it before, so there is always a first time.
Cheers

Hello Chris,

You will find many posts by me here, a good way to get to know me. Can you tell me what an " intellectual disability" actually means? I live in Melbourne, Florida.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Nice to meet you and I look forward to reading your posts.

Intellectual disability is where the person has not developed mentally during their early of life, which impacts on their social skills, as well as their levels of thinking, understanding and comprehension.

Hi @Eragon, welcome to Ideapod Discussions. Glad to have you here. Sounds like you’ll have some interesting experiences to contribute.

Hi Chris, I am looking forward to your ideas. I do want to pay my respect for the recent tragedy in NZ.

Many of my friends or people I meet on the internet often seem to not be able to understand many of the ideas I share with them. Perhaps they have not developed fully? How do you (or I) help such people? I am 75 and look at the world from my history of experience, perhaps people are always developing?

@Eragon welcome aboard!

Thank you Boonn Hem.
It was a terrible tragedy.

Hi Bill,

The way we get the people we support to understand what we are saying and asking is by keeping what we are saying and asking short and simple. Using big words and trying to say too much complicates things, and so while you understand what you want to get across others might not.

It all comes to the words we use and the way we say it.

Trust this helps.

Chris

Thank you @justinbrown. I look forward to doing so.

Thank you @Presley. It is nice to be here

Exactly my problem as a teen ager, the adults around me just did not, (could not?) understand me. I grew up on science fiction and was always 100 years in the future.

Possibly and probably too, who were speaking in a language and using words they did not understand. It might be, as I mentioned earlier, you having to change the language you are using, dumb it down as we say.

Ah [quote=“BillAmes, post:12, topic:737, full:true”]
Exactly my problem as a teen ager, the adults around me just did not, (could not?) understand me. I grew up on science fiction and was always 100 years in the future.
[/quote]

Ah yes Bill, are you a Trekkie? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry, I’m still trying to figure this all out. Forgive me on the last comment that look like jibber jabber.

Original. Watched as broadcast. Also Doctor Who (met one doctor and two companions.) Saw 2001 in NYC on 3 wide screens. I write SF (at least I try.) Being me can be difficult.