Nearly everything we've been told about mental health and addiction is wrong

Concepts such as “a willing client” and “hitting bottom” are examples of generally accepted principles from the behavioral health field that are actually more damaging than helpful. People change is a wide variety of ways and most of the time figure it out on their own. We don’t have to wait for them to experience so much pain (hit bottom) that they come to our office and do whatever we say (willing). There are emerging models that empower the person themselves to make the change plan.

Actually virtually nothing that we think we know, in any field, is strictly True, although there is Truth in the universe. We are taught approximations as truths, passed on through many teachers who have never taken the time, or expended the effort needed to determine if they really support that teaching, according to our ongoing understanding of the universe and our very Special place within it.

Dr. David R. Hawkins made a statement that shook me and helped me understand much of what I dimly understood from decades of helping other groups find better questions to ask:
We believe most things, know-about those we work upon with diligence and ‘know’ only those things that we can become.

So a seer in a North American native tribe who could ‘be’ an eagle and ‘see’ the earth from a high altitude could ‘know’ a bit about an eagle and what the area looked like from an altitude, but the best that the rest of us can do is usually to ‘know about’ things.

Over time I learned, in eight different fields, that we knew nothing in them and have subsequently broadened my evaluation of our human state of knowing to one where I am in agreement with David. Millions were spent to discredit him and his work, but he died a happy man, in deep Peace; which is more than we can say for most of us!

In Psychiatry, many have tried to use the tools of Science and have lost the skills used by early philosophers to use the tools of Philosophy to determine the Context of issues and then help patients ask better questions. In the end, their answers to those questions are all that matter to them.

The Ancient Greeks warned us that there were two sides to the one coin of all knowledge and both were needed to solve most issues. They also warned us that the tools used for the Science side would not likely work on the Philosophy side, and visa-versa. We have become so arrogant as to believe that their ability to see the bigger issues was trivial at best, because they were just opening up the cans of worms in understanding our ability to develop new knowledge. It is true that we can develop Great amounts of Content in the Science side, but it will not likely be useful, or even fruitful, if we do not use Philosophy to develop the Right questions.

"The probability of getting a useful answer goes way, way down
when you insist on trying to answer the wrong question!'

Love and Above to those who would ‘see’ the Truth!