Neil New Member Singer And Bringer Of Joy

(Neil Simpson) #1

Hi my name is Neil and recently turned 55. I am from Perth Australia and play music at aged-care facilities for a living. I like to distill the thoughts and concepts of thinkers throughout history into my own personal set of life ‘rules’. In recent years I have been following the writings of Dr Jordan B Peterson plus a little of Stoic writings of Marcus Aurelius and Seneca but not in any depth. I have found many great YouTube channels featuring Alain DeBotton, Sadhguru and Acadamy Of Ideas.

Many of these channels contain such nuggets of wisdom it can make you look at life in a whole new light. It seems such a huge task grappling with the idea of your identity and finding a place and meaning in a world so disinterested in such noble pursuits.
Finally I would like to post the following (I posted this on my social media account to next to now interest).
Thoughts on turning 55. Life is not supposed to work out for you if you don’t spend enough time trying to work it out for yourself. Create your own story with you being the beating heart of that story. Don’t be a bit-part player in other people’s stories if you are not there to improve upon that story.

Don’t stumble over things that are behind you. If life keeps tripping you up all the time you may need be treading a different path or work out ways to navigate the path you’re on in a better way. You may just need to stand a little straighter, think a little clearer or work out how to beat handle those obstacles that impede you.

Surround yourself with people who not only want the best for you but will inspire you by their example of a life well lived. For every time we find ourselves judging others find three examples of people we hope to emulate so our lives may have an upward direction. For we can can never move upwards from a position of assumed superiority.

Life is a serious business for sure but always look for the opportunities to laugh at every possibility. Be prepared to laugh twice as hard at yourself than at others. By doing this you can recognise your own imperfections and make changes yourself if you deem necessary.

You never find a winning way if you spend too much time whining. Most things in life worth doing require some work and effort but the reward offered is hopefully increased by the effort you put in.

Getting older doesn’t make you smarter but can help you ask smarter questions and recognise the right answers when presented. It may be called wisdom but don’t take my word for it whatever you do.

Stubbornness is a crime against your ability to see sense. If you come to a conclusion too quickly you may not have considered all possibilities or viewpoints. Being right won’t make things right if you’re steering in opposite directions; certain compromises are sometimes necessary if you believe in a common outcome.

You can put up with, ignore or try to change a situation or circumstance but don’t keep going round circles between one or more of these options. People and events change and there are times in life where events can change people. Recognise these as a catalyst of change in both yourself and others.

Habits can be the making or ruin of you over time. Closely examine a picture of yourself from 15 years ago. Look at your successes and failures. Every line and bulge is a result of good or bad habits and your ability to keep them in check. As you get older the cost or rewards for managing your habits can be crucial as life or death.

Try and have a good time and don’t wallow in the fact you are not having it at all times. Take a good hard look at yourself and don’t stop looking until you can work out how to cope better. Any improvement on something is better than none and certainly better than making things worse. Things are maybe not always going to be worse than you imagine and a small amount of discomfort can open up a little joy or new experiences into your life.

Change can be brutal and not easy to comprehend but may take you places you never imagined possible. It is sometimes the wake-up call needed to becoming fully realised or maximising our potential for growth or achievement. A knock-back can be harsh and maybe painful but could knock some needed sense into us.

Thanks for your time ideapodsters.

(Mark's Myth) #2

I hear ya @BCFC-KRO…Thanks for all the insights!
And welcome to Ideapod.

(Justin Brown) #3

@BCFC-KRO, welcome!

This is basically what we do with the articles we share on Ideapod.

I’ve been fascinated with the emergence of Jordan Peterson as well. I wrote this article a while back because I was so impressed with Peterson’s 4 reasons for not committing suicide. But also I think there are some disturbing aspects of Peterson’s rise to fame, some of which are explained here.

We’ve got a few articles on Alain de Botton. E.g. an article on the meaning of life. And this overview of Alain’s key ideas.

I also like what you shared on Facebook. Can we publish this as an article on Ideapod?

(Neil Simpson) #4

Hi Justin. Please free to use my Facebook post. I am up to chapter/rule 11 in 12 Rules For Life and have found it an intriguing book but struggled with his religious views that he incorporates into some of his rules. I did read the suicide article you wrote a while back and have watched many hours of his lectures.
As a West Coast fan I am looking forward to finals footy but still a few home and away games to go yet.

(Justin Brown) #5

I’m fascinated to know what you think of 12 Rules of Life once you finish. I think many people have read chunks of the book without reading the final chapter where Peterson refers to himself as a prophet or religious figure of sorts. Personally, it really put me off Peterson, but I still value much of what he has to say. Here’s another discussion on Peterson.

It’s a fascinating season. I’m a very passionate Essendon fan and really enjoying our mid-season resurgence. I think West Coast are probably looking like the strongest team at present, but it really is an even competition this year.

Great, thanks. I’ll work on it this week.