Noocracy: where do we go from here?

(Mark's Myth) #1

Continuing the discussion from Freedom from Facebook?:

In light of the wandering conversation that started as a topic about the internet and FB then touched on societal control, wandered to the ideas of freedom of speech which of course led to legislation and governance.

Which brings us back to the question of how do we as global citizens participate in our social structures?

Noocracy: The word itself is derived from Greek nous , Gen. noos (νους) meaning “mind” or “intellect”, and “kratos” (κράτος), “authority” or “power”.

One of the first attempts to implement such a political system was perhaps Pythagoras’ “city of the wise” that he planned to build in Italy together with his followers, the order of “mathematikoi”. In modern history, similar concepts were introduced by Vladimir Vernadsky, who did not use this term, but the term “noosphere”.

As defined by Plato, noocracy is considered to be the future political system for the entire human race, replacing democracy (“the authority of the crowd”) and other forms of government.

Mikhail Epstein defined noocracy as “the thinking matter increases its mass in nature and geo- and biosphere grow into noosphere, the future of the humanity can be envisioned as noocracy—that is the power of the collective brain rather than separate individuals representing certain social groups or society as whole”.

(Bill Ames) #2

Noocracy (/noʊˈɒkrəsi/ or /ˈnoʊ.əkrəsi/), or “aristocracy of the wise”, as defined by Plato, is a social and political system that is “based on the priority of human mind”, according to Vladimir Vernadsky.

Works for me, I am already doing it, so many minds that need to be aligned. Science is the speed governor, it will not allow the minds to do things by “wish”, real technology will be necessary. I know technology so I am in a position to enlighten many minds.

(ACD) #3

How is this idea different fron the Enlightenment?

(Bill Ames) #4

a European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent exponents include Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith.

We are just moving into a new world order. All will be resolved in 280 years. Two replacements of humanity.

(ACD) #5

@BillAmes
Are you cutting and pasting from a website?

(Bill Ames) #6

When something is mentioned that appears to be interesting in the conversation I will use info from wiki to ensure my reply is on topic.

(ACD) #7

Denis Lacorne’s The Limits of Tolerance traces the history and vulnerability of the Enlightenment value of tolerance. Robert Bartholomew and Anja Reumschussel’s American Intolerance indicts the United States for its terrible history of official and populist intolerance toward each new influx of immigrants.

(Bill Ames) #8

We today are not responsible for the sins of the fathers. I am sure some of our genetic kin did horrible things 12,000 years ago. The past is past.

(ACD) #9

The title of this discussion is a concept established during the classical period in Greece. I suggested that the Enlightenment was the beginning of tbe modern version of noocracy. The two book reviews discuss recent treatments of the Enlightenment concept of tolerance, particularly in the light of the American experience. I also was interested to point to Quakerism which offers a practical form of noocracy.

(Bill Ames) #10

Noocracy

That is not a common word, I have never heard of it and while it may have the meaning shown in reference material it is not established as a starting point for anything. If it has an impact on culture today it would be much better discussed.

Demarchy has 3 times the hits on google, these words of “things” need to be more than something on the Jeopardy board.

If the question is where do we go to from today, as the world is today, it is starting from what the most common form of government we have, it is whatever the people believe they are governed by. Most would follow the TV schedule as their rulers.

Most people want what they have and do not know anything better. If they do know of something better they will try to improve. If they get too good at improving the state or religion will make them resources in a war of some kind. That is life.

(Bob Copeland) #11

As a somewhat middling historian, I recall that our “bettors” told the “peasants” what to do & what to think. The downside is our universe has entropy, which basically means everything because of the flow of energy outwards gets gradually worse. This also applies to the old mindset which means our “bettors” can throw their weight around which has led to the Magna Carta, wars, & the present fun & games in the old U. S. of A.

(Bill Ames) #12

(Bob Copeland) #13

Entropy applies to everything but we commonly think of it as only physical stuff falling apart (needing repairs). God helps stuff it all back together when our mental processes sour or fall apart as in thinking.

(Bill Ames) #14

So God helps us, does this imply He has accepted some responsibility for our actions (or lack thereof of some actions?)

(Mel Saint) #15

It reminds me of the nootropics or the vitamins for the mind

(Bob Copeland) #16

It’s an interesting question. Humanity seems to think so. We built elaborate churches & pray to him, her, or it perhaps on the basis of not taking any chances in case we accidently irritate him, her, it that we summarize as “God”. Personally speaking, I asked him, her, or it to show me how the universe was designed to which evolution was added to the universe. So far so good, because “it” guided me to ideapod with its’ trove of interesting people including you. I got to thinking about entropy again & since it applies to our thinking, actions, etc. falling apart then Justin is playing an integral part in showing us guidelines as well as the various religions & texts to keep us on the straight & narrow.

(Bill Ames) #17

It was a result of a design review that was accepted and implemented using the accepted design.

(Bob Copeland) #18

I agree with you. The question is “Who or what designed it???” We’re looking outward in our universe to the underside. On the reverse thought we’re looking “into” Black Holes. Theoretically each have an event horizon. We call ours heaven.

(Bill Ames) #19

The great Maker. Have you not watched Babylon 5?

(Bob Copeland) #20

I’m an inveterate Sci - Fi addict. Is Babylon 5 the one where “entities” held open the wormhole so we could travel in units of time with space simply being a location in space? Travel in units of time means we never age & we travel faster than light since travel through light is “limited” in space since our space is a series of “limits”. If not, you can use this idea & make millions!!!