Northern Ireland and Brexit: the elephant in the room

(Bill Ames) #21

Why don’t they ignore the whole thing? Then the Doctor can show up and set the country on the proper course.

(ACD) #22

Is the Doctor like the Fuhrer?

(Bill Ames) #23

Doctor Who, a Timelord, in his TARDIS. Great Britain is under her protection.

(ACD) #24

(Bill Ames) #25

I had relatives there in 910 (the year) and GB will last longer than humanity. The AIs will keep it going until the end. The end. Where the universe ends.

(ACD) #26

(ACD) #27

‘What I was very struck by over the course of this week was the extent to which the U.S. administration has really put some thought and hard work into this,’ Brexit Party chief Nigel Farage told DailyMail.com about preliminary trade discussions that developed during Trump’s State Visit to London.

(Bill Ames) #28

All of this stuff is much too much like a TV sitcom. Half the people taking themselves too seriously and the other half taking nothing seriously. In 140 years it will be a totally new audience, not a long time in British history. Dieu et mon droit

(ACD) #29

I fear there is much more to all this than meets the eye.

“The Trump presidency appears to personify, along with Britain’s vote to withdraw from the European Union, a sense of deep crisis in the United States-led liberal international order (LIO). The two states that conceived and constructed a whole array of international institutions after 1945 now seem to be rejecting that order, or at the very least, demanding that its institutions either be reformed or recali- brated to better suit their purposes. However, both developments may signal a new phase in the evolution of the international system—more nationalistic, state- centric and transactional, in which costs and responsibilities are more widely shared and where the electorate questions the costs versus bene ts of the postwar liberal consensus. This crisis has long been evident …”

(ACD) #30

“Our middle-class monitors must relearn the lessons from the past: working class folk are the salt of the earth. They deserve more respect than they currently get. Trash their identity, and they will destroy your identity politics.”

(ACD) #31

“… concerns in Berlin and Paris that if the UK does not cooperate, then Ireland will pose a risk to the integrity of the EU single market in the event of a no deal… It is the single biggest issue that has bedevilled the Brexit process - how to retain an ‘invisible’ border in Northern Ireland while leaving the EU’s customs union and single market, but not creating a trade border in the Irish Sea.”

(Bill Ames) #32

Is this all a scene from Alice in Wonderland? Perhaps it can not be resolved logically so it will just continue like a TV sitcom? Where is there a description of what rights and responsibilities people in Ireland will have?

(ACD) #33

It is a serious issue. The EU is the largest market globally. The UK is moving to break it up with enthusiastic support from the US. The Irish question has not gone away since the UK first was pushed out a century ago. Globalization - how and whether it will continue - hangs in the balance.

(Bill Ames) #34

Do I really care that the UK is still running around in circles and that the Irish (my God parents were Irish) (and I can trace my ancestry to the year 910 in that island where the UK now resides.) I still ask, what is going on, does anyone have a flow chart of how it would all work? Why do I feel it is all some great Monty Python movie being done in real life? All those people over there are either stupid, quite mad or not paying attention. A serious issue? Would they know one if they saw one? Are there no citizens of the UK with a backbone? It all started going to Hell with the dancing beds at their Olympic games opening.

(ACD) #35

The matter is mostly political in nature but the article above atempts to do exactly that: chart the flow of possible outcomes.

(ACD) #36

This has become the central-most sticky question.

(ACD) #37

This string of invective apparently reflects contempt for Brits.

(Bill Ames) #38

Well, they lost the war.

(ACD) #39

@billames
This is nonsense. Please stop.

The art of disagreeing (community guidelines)
(ACD) #40

One of the biggest issues facing the new prime minister is how to leave the European Union in an orderly fashion. That is looking increasingly hard so the issue of a no-deal Brexit has become more pertinent. The Times published a two-part series on “Everything you need to know about a no-deal Brexit” and an A-Z of a no-deal, looking at each sector and how it may be affected. It’s a great read.