Northern Ireland and Brexit: the elephant in the room

(ACD) #41

Context for the domestic dimesion of this issue:

(Bill Ames) #42

That is the way it should be. Same for the US and those down under. What is wrong with that?

(ACD) #43

Nothing wrong but those who feel that way in England see the EU as a threat to Britishness.

(Bill Ames) #44

Yes, it is, what are the Brits supposed to do?

(ACD) #45

Some Brits embrace multi-culturalism and do not feel threatened by the EU. Some do. They are in conflict now.

(Bill Ames) #46

What does that mean? Nothing that is British will be allowed to go away. That is their identity, why would any true Brit ever want to change? The country does go back a long ways.

The Oath of Allegiance (Judicial or Official Oath) is a promise to be loyal to the British monarch, and his or her heirs and successors, sworn by certain public servants in the United Kingdom, and also by newly naturalised subjects in citizenship ceremonies. The current standard wording of the oath of allegiance is set out in the Promissory Oaths Act 1868.

(ACD) #47

Britain has been invaded repeatedly: Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Normans, Venetians, Commonwealth, etc. Each has left its mark on Britishness which has changed throughout the ages. It was relatvely recently that the first language of the monarch and the court was English.

(ACD) #48

Some historic perspective:

“London merchants and traders had been thriving on duties and profits reaped from their absolute control of the wool trade, and the new arrangement sought by Giano would have blown their monopoly sky-high… even though the country no longer produces much in the way of commodities, the idea of a fortress England, self-interested and protectionist, patrolling its own borders, rebuffing overtures from foreign interlopers like poor Giano, still lives on.”

(denise wheeler) #49

@ACD I’m currently in Ireland. I’ve been here for almost two months, and will be here until the end of August. So it has been very interesting to see this Brexit situation up close. We’re so used to absorbing everything in the context of the media, which is always so different from a first hand glance. But I have talked to many people in Ireland about it and the responses are all the same, fear of a hard border returning and all the militants that might come with it. It’s easy to understand that, naturally. The country has been through a lot, and though there’s histories on both sides, I think it’s unfortunate that after all the fighting and agreements that sense of peace and independence is still a gathering storm.