Thanks for the recent engagement! Some notes about what's to come

(Justin Brown) #1

I just want to say thank you to everyone for the recent stimulating conversations.

Ideapod Discussions is a new initiative of Ideapod. There’s still a lot of work to do in order to properly integrate it with the main site as well as communicate more clearly the purpose of this area. It’s taking a bit of time to get it moving as we’ve been working really hard on launching some new online courses and upgrading our learning management system for this.

How it currently works is that each new article on Ideapod automatically creates a new topic in the #discussions section. The comments in that topic show up at the bottom of the article. If there are a lot of comments, it will be the comments that receive the most likes that show up.

We’ve also got #ideajournal for people to post their ideas to start new conversations (as opposed to building off the articles we’re publishing). Everyone here is also welcome to submit an article for publication here: https://ideapod.com/contribute

Finally, this Discussions area is going to be used for the online courses, with a few private areas for people enrolled in the courses. This is coming soon.

You may have noticed that the front page at www.ideapod.com shows “trending discussions”. It shows the most engaged with topics in the previous 7 days based on “likes”, “views” and a few other factors.

The aim of the Discussions area is to provide an intellectually stimulating forum where we can share our various perspectives and learn from each other. The discussions lately have really fulfilled this aim.

I’m hoping this can evolve so that people start to meet each other on Ideapod and then connect outside the platform, forming new friendships, collaborations, etc. Basically, people creating together. I think we’ve got a long way to go before we’ll be engendering lots of these connections, but it’s nice to see these connections starting to form already.

In the meantime, if you’re reading this it means you’re probably one of the early adopters of Ideapod Discussions and something about the mission of Ideapod or our content has inspired you to get involved. Thank you! Please keep on engaging, and most especially clicking the “like” button (the love heart) when you see something thoughtful. It really helps to improve the levels of engagement.

(Bill Ames) #2

What if we had adopted a like, or “heart” button where people were being exposed to a mentor. In the classroom, the students could provide feedback on the current lesson presentation. At church, the preacher would get the vibes for their sermon. During a political speech, the candidates would get audience feedback.

Perhaps we could provide for the different voting symbol as no feedback is not positive feedback. I do know that several posts on Ideapod I could only reply to vote my disagreement. Sometimes I could see that my comments would not be understood so a not like vote would be more useful.