The state of AI in 2019

This is an interesting view of what AI really is and how it will involve you.

I suspect that no possible benefit of AI can ever out weigh what is lost in its inception.

Times can and will change.

On this day in 1633, chief inquisitor Father Vincenzo Maculani da Firenzuola, appointed by Pope Urban VIII, begins the inquisition of physicist and astronomer Galileo Galilei. Galileo was ordered to turn himself in to the Holy Office to begin trial for holding the belief that the Earth revolves around the Sun, which was deemed heretical by the Catholic Church. Standard practice demanded that the accused be imprisoned and secluded during the trial.

This was the second time that Galileo was in the hot seat for refusing to accept Church orthodoxy that the Earth was the immovable center of the universe: In 1616, he had been forbidden from holding or defending his beliefs. In the 1633 interrogation, Galileo denied that he “held” belief in the Copernican view but continued to write about the issue and evidence as a means of “discussion” rather than belief. The Church had decided the idea that the Sun moved around the Earth was an absolute fact of scripture that could not be disputed, despite the fact that scientists had known for centuries that the Earth was not the center of the universe.

Your adoption of the non sequitur reveals a hot , steaming pile of nihilism at best . There are irreversible consequences here to be had. I can’t stop the ai progression , I can’t stop folks trying to recreate the big bang on a small scale as though they knew what scale it was on. All I can do is see with as much clarity as I can and say what I think. You are free to adopt the George Carlin “life is worth losing” stance at your convenience. I think life is worth having and that Human potential is still just in front of us.

The 6 billion-year-old aliens in my screenplay agree with you, “Human potential is still just in front of us.” And that is why it is foolish to wring our hands and gnash our teeth and watch TV, it all means nothing. Humanity moves as a collection, every 140 years or so, move down, clean cup. I look for a future that has been thought about by the creator and will be as interesting as the decisions made to navigate its paths. That 140-year limit will be extended and the local universe will become our neighboorhood. Not a single problem that is present today will remain unsolved in the next 20,000 years. Yes, there will be new problems, but technology will address them. When you see that people replace the AIs because we are better, it will take awhile, then humanity will celerbrate.

At what point do aliens stop being aliens ?

I suspect that no alien species can be said to be older than humans.

Is technological superiority really better than technological inferiority, what are the measures ?

Can we define goals of technology separate from purpose of life.

If all of humanity is the result of struggle, what utility is there in ending human struggle ?

The universe is around 13 billion years old and earth 4.5 billion years. Other alien races could have started when the universe was, say, 3 billion years old. So now they would be 10 billion years old, a nice headstart would you not say/

Technological superiority is simple. They do not die except by choice or accident. As we can not travel faster tyhan life they travel in a suspended animation for as long as they wish. They have a fixed population and represent our galaxy. There are a trillion or more galaxies with at least one of these old races in them. They exchange ideas at light speed, slow, but hey, they have lots of time.

Their prime directive is to “do no harm.” They stop being aliens when they knock at your door and introduce them selves. Like when you go to the shelter to pick out a new pet. There is no struggle, we are replaced every 140 years or so. On the average we are a happy lot.

Not necessarily there speedy said the tortoise. All life is made of elements from whatever the beginning is.
Is your biology yours or is it the microbiome in guts possession, democracy would suggest it’s theirs. Maybe it’s atoms , maybe we’ll find atoms are galaxies.
How can we stand between millions of internal world’s and external world’s and suffice to complain about stale Pepsi. It’s not merely about us I suspect. Aliens are a non sequitur because there is no separation between us and inner and outer environments other than our perceptions. Nothing human is alien to me !
What lies beyond the plutonian shore ?
They say, wherever you go, there you are.

“If the Singularity can not be prevented or confined, just how bad could the Post-Human era be? Well … pretty bad.”

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/surf/1120surf-vinge.html

“The AI agent is not a moral agent. It is we humans who control it, and we who define whether it is functioning appropriately. Therefore, it is not in the position to be accorded rights and duties.”

https://www.ethicsandinternationalaffairs.org/2019/artificial-intelligence-power-to-the-people/

Economic Apocalypse?

I think it’s Pandora’s box, we have no idea what stranger we’re letting in the house. I name the AI “OEDIPUS REX”.