The surveillance state and free speech

(ACD) #1

“The blame for this mess belongs to the entire advertising, publishing and tech industries. But what responsibility does a browser have in protecting us from code that isn’t doing much more than spying?”

How to survive in the internet world?
(Bill Ames) #2

If you have any technical questions I will be pleased to answer them. Technology can be very confusing to some. My best friend and my brother are not able to use email, both are older than I am and they never learned technology.

(ACD) #3

"The reason we launched our A.I. principles is because people were not putting that line in the sand, that they were not saying what’s fair and what’s equitable so we’re like, well we are a big company, we’re going to say it.” – Jen Gennai, Head Of Responsible Innovation, Google

(Bill Ames) #4

Either you are a loyal member of the tribe, do not make waves, and get the benefits of being loyal to the Chief, or you take your tools and leave. If change makes you uncomfortable, well, you have not seen much change. I expect change and I expect it to happen even faster. Is change for the better? For some, not all. Is no change better? I do not believe a lack of change is desirable. How else will we get our lifespans up to 140? If you oppose change start a topic and argue against it.

(ACD) #5

Twitter to ban Trump?

(ACD) #6

A history of the net: from DARPA to the surveillance state

(Mel Saint) #7

Then use Bing. And then you’ll complain how crappy it is. Well, you can’t eat your cake and have it too. The best solution is to just live under the rock.

(ACD) #8

@saintmel45
Did you listen to the presentation?

(ACD) #9

(Bill Ames) #10

We do not get to vote on what new uses of technology are likely. Perhaps this will find a lot of bad people.

(ACD) #11

Do we get to have a photo-less driver license if we prefer?

(Bill Ames) #12

Well, we would have to get photoless passports first.

(ACD) #13

Is that an affirmative answer to both?.

(Bill Ames) #14

Yes, just go with the wifi chips added at birth.

(ACD) #15

I “liked” your reply for its mordant sense of humor.

(Bill Ames) #16

In 2 or 3 hundred years all births will be recorded via DNA sample and that will go into a database and you will be identifiable no mater where you are in the world. This will be very easy to do? Doubt that, what was technology like 2 or 3 hundred years ago? Now look the same span into the future.