The Worth of an Angry God - Issue 72: Quandary - Nautilus

A god who knows everything, is everywhere, and wields impossible power, is a potent fantasy. Allegiance to it animates the lives of billions worldwide. But this “Big God,” as psychologists and anthropologists refer to it, wasn’t dreamt from scratch but pieced together, over thousands of years, paralleling humanity’s move from small- to large-scale societies. One burning question researchers want to answer is: Did humans need belief in a God-like being—someone who can punish every immorality we might commit—to have the big societies we have today, where we live relatively peaceably among strangers we could easily exploit?

Unsurprising conclusions from a secular scientistic perspective and an an amplified version of the religion as a crutch argument:

Whitehouse is generally regarded as one of the founders of the cognitive science of religion field.

Cognitive science of religion is the study of religious thought and behavior from the perspective of the cognitive and evolutionary sciences. The field employs methods and theories from a very broad range of disciplines, including: cognitive psychology, evolutionary psychology, cognitive anthropology, artificial intelligence, neurotheology, developmental psychology, and archaeology. Scholars in this field seek to explain how human minds acquire, generate, and transmit religious thoughts, practices, and schemas by means of ordinary cognitive capacities.

It [Nautilus] uses as an epigraph a 1995 statement from Stephen Hawking, the English physicist and man about the universe:

“The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies.”

The word “nautilus” has a number of meanings that are referred to in the title of the magazine. “‘The nautilus is so steeped in math and myth and story, from Verne to the Golden Mean to the spectacular sea creature itself,’ [Nautilus publisher John] Steele said, ‘that it seemed a fitting namesake for the idea of connecting and illuminating science.’”

Very interesting to learn more of the background to Nautilus. I’m subscribed to them by email and find some of their articles quite interesting.

God has not changed; humanity has. The ability to communicate thoughts without a written text, add written text and many languages. It is fantastic we have done as well as we have. Of necessity, I had to document for my science fiction screenplay how the universe was created, and I am working on the “why” part. My aliens, billions of years old, have worked out much to keep their sanity. There is no human problem that my characters have experienced for a billion years. Writing about them is not easy. The article “The Worth of an Angry God” is probably beneficial for a human to read. Once the AIs have mastered religion, we will have even more insight. God does not provide us with a user guide written such that it can only be understood as God wishes it to be understood. Humans are such a young audience. Try teaching QED to preschoolers if you want an example. My aliens live by one rule, “do no harm.” That is not a bad idea for humanity, but until we have solved a lot of development issues, it will be in the background.

How does one master religion?

By understanding what it is all about and not being constrained by some ancestors hangups.

There is a Real God, but many man-made gods who are angry. The real God is Love!
All the others are false!
The universe was made within that essence that we could call God. Once you realize that you are an eternal spiritual being that cannot die, but have a whole string of stardust bodies that do die, there is no reason to Fear death of a body; they were only a temporary abode and tool that helps bring experiences and lessons to you. They do that quite well if you allow yourself to see all that comes to you as bringing new understanding, lessons and possibilities for growth.
I write about things like that, as a guided writer who finally decided to listen to the suggestions that came my way! LoL

I am afraid that I do not understand what you just said. Could you translate to more basic statements please?

@BillAmes
This is a description of a cycle of transcendental reincarnation.

As I understand when the universe was created, it was necessary to allow a soul to access other physical bodies in the universe. Because of a spread over a few 100 billion years where sentient entities will exist and die it was realized there would be a trillion or more homeworlds and a trillion trillion in this population. This moving around allows for a universal religion to be available throughout the universe. To give these wandering souls proper experience, it is not likely any would spend more that one time here on Earth. We may find that a lot of our creative ideas did originate elsewhere in the universe; this includes many dreams we may have.