What do you believe to be true that not many others believe to be true?

(Justin Brown) #1

This is a question to get to know each other, and also maybe for us to get to know ourselves.

What do you believe to be true that not many others believe to be true?

It could be societal norms around relationships or marriage. Perhaps you believe aliens have visited Earth and are running the show. Maybe you believe in telepathy.

Whatever it is, share it with the community here by replying. We’re all a pretty receptive and open-minded group and I think will appreciate seeing a different side to each other.

(ACD) #2

I believe that many of the versions of history which are painted with condemnation as conspiracy theory are, if not true, pointing in the right direction.

(Justin Brown) #3

Can you share an example of a so-called conspiracy theory which you think is true that most people don’t believe is true?

(ACD) #4

I do not believe the explanations provided in the 911 Commission Report but am much more credulous of inside-job explanations, though I readily admit that evidence for both explanations is thin.

(Bill Ames) #5

I need a clarification on the question. I have things I believe. I need to know the count of “not many others.” If it is, say, 11 I am still in good company, if it is 7 Billion then that makes it more difficult. I have my concept of how the universe was created, works for me. If I were to ask each of the 7 billion, ok, you have a better belief? Mine would pass that test. And I might be in the majority. I could say I believe the NY Mets baseball team will make the playoffs, I think this is a valid answer to the question. The problem is defining “believe”, how is that measured? I do not think conspiracy theories are valid beliefs as most do not have more than wishful thinking to make their point. IMO.

Latitude of acceptance: pitch arguments so they are in the range of a bubble around your current beliefs
(Justin Brown) #6

15 posts were split to a new topic: The latitude of acceptance: pitch arguments so they are in line with your current beliefs

(Helen Emmett) #21

I believe in Ghosts and Demons. I think Demonic possession is real, and that in these extreme cases, once mental health issues are ruled out, Exorcisms are necessary. I also think Ouija Boards are dangerous, and I would never use one. I’m completely fascinated and intrigued by this subject.

(Bill Ames) #22

I must deal with this one daily:

Dokuro Skull (ドクロウ ・スカール Dokurou Sukāru) is the Hell Counter Measures Branch Chief. It is revealed that she was a hero during the Almagemachina.

(ACD) #23

Quillette ’s suggestion that our intellectual media stifles ‘open-minded’ discussion is dismissed by its detractors as being made in bad faith. If anything, they say, there is too much ‘open discussion’ these days; we have a president who will say anything at any time, neo-Nazis marching through university towns, and have you been on Reddit? Here, too, it’s fair to be skeptical: many calling for open-mindedness simply want to be able to say contemptible things with no consequences or criticism, and there are certain ideas that we refuse to countenance for good reason. But which beliefs exactly should be judged as ‘out of bounds’ —and who gets to be the referee? How wide is the circle of ideas that are not even worthy of discussion? Such questions are themselves open to debate, and the judgments we make about them in particular cases will tend to be provisional. Still, this is preferable to the alternative. For there is a growing cost to pretending we’ve arrived at a settled consensus about their answers, or to denying that they are even real questions.”

https://thepointmag.com/2019/politics/on-denialism

(Bill Ames) #24

It is often difficult to listen to the people who say things that are as you describe above. When I am advised to be more open to alternative ideas I can only be as open as my knowledge allows. If I am more knowledgeable on a subject and use that knowledge in a discussion and then am accused of not being open minded by less knowledgeable posters I do not know how to respond. Perhaps there is nothing to be gained in trying to educate the ignorant.

(ACD) #25

During the Protestant Reformation, people were tortured and executed for being ignorant.

(Bill Ames) #26

Which is your point, religion can do bad things or it is bad to be ignorant?

(ACD) #27

My point is that we should be careful about labeling people as ignorant.

(Bill Ames) #28

I agree. And to be clear:

There are many subjects I am aware of but must admit I am ignorant to any depth for many. I wish it were not like that but it is what it is.

(ACD) #29

My point is not so much about what people know as it is about their attitudes about what they think they know.

(Bill Ames) #30

There is no way for you to know what other people know. You are putting yourself in a position of an attitude of thinking you know what people know, is that not the same as “think they/you know?”

(ACD) #31

I have no idea what you think you know.

(Barry McCormack) #32

In Australia, because of drought, many cockies (farmers) are unable to feed their stock and as a consequence are committing suicide increasingly.
I believe that without even leaving the little villa in the suburb that I live in, I can help with this problem by sharing what I know with those who are ignorant of what I know.
I don’t believe many would think this possible but by simply tapping on a keyboard I can share constructive ideas and instigate changes.
I believe this is a much better use of my time than point scoring in arguments but I also believe that most people would agree with that.
I don’t believe there’s any time to waste.

(Bill Ames) #33

(Barry McCormack) #34

What a great example of my message @BillAmes. Thank you.
I don’t need to build a physical model of the above picture to believe it any more than I need to actually know any of the families of the people who have killed themselves in desperation to believe their predicament. All I need to do is actually care.