What problems that we have today can be solved now by the resources currently available?

(Bill Ames) #1

The world is a very complicated place. I see things on the news, read stuff here on Ideapod. Here is the question for this post.

The world is full of problems. What problems that we have today can be solved now by the resources currently available? This means no portable fusion power supplies, no visits from our alien neighbors, nothing not already here.

I am not asking for a list of solutions, just a list of the problems an individual believes we can solve. Issues that are a burden on most of all, humanity.

(Mark's Myth) #2

Let’s start with your wiki reference as it covers just about everything… and there many long lists here:

Here is the UN’s list:

There is the SDG list with associated goals:

The 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) to transform our world:

GOAL 1: No Poverty

GOAL 2: Zero Hunger

GOAL 3: Good Health and Well-being

GOAL 4: Quality Education

GOAL 5: Gender Equality

GOAL 6: Clean Water and Sanitation

GOAL 7: Affordable and Clean Energy

GOAL 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth

GOAL 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure

GOAL 10: Reduced Inequality

GOAL 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities

GOAL 12: Responsible Consumption and Production

GOAL 13: Climate Action

GOAL 14: Life Below Water

GOAL 15: Life on Land

GOAL 16: Peace and Justice Strong Institutions

GOAL 17: Partnerships to achieve the Goal

(Bill Ames) #3

Is it your point that we can solve all the problems on the list you provided?

(Mark's Myth) #4

Yes the proposition is most can be solved. Will we have/find the resolve in time is the question.

“Neither the great political and financial power structures of the world, nor the specialization-blinded professionals, nor the population in general realize… that it is now highly feasible to take care of everybody on Earth at a higher standard of living than any have ever known. It no longer has to be you or me. Selfishness is unnecessary and henceforth unrationalizable as mandated by survival.”

“It is now highly feasible to take care of everybody on Earth at a ‘higher standard of living than any have ever known… It is a matter of converting the high technology from weaponry to livingry.”

• R. Buckminster Fuller

(Bill Ames) #5

How about picking one that “you” believe will be solved. Just one.

(ACD) #6

I would go for affordable and clean energy.
https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/envision2030-goal7.html

(Bill Ames) #7

Not in 11 years with changes to technology. A stipulation of the question. Your article is talking 2030s

(Mark's Myth) #8

To answer this I will have indulge my #senseof optipessimism.

My heart reveals a perpetual flow of optimism based on the goodness of humanity. Yet it also feels the pain of suffering due to our pessimism and acting out of greed.

My head tells me our sciences and technologies keep us tuning into our challenges hence we can be optimistic. But recognizing our past behaviors the pessimism weighs in heavily.

In the spirit of Bucky I’ll point to moving from a system of “weaponry to livingry” will do wonders for the world.

It may not seem possible looking back over our shoulder and at the rattle of today’s politicians, but when you peel back the veneer of what’s spoon-fed to us by “the media” and look at the amount of people focused on these challenges collaborating to articulate their efforts… I see hope.

https://discuss.ideapod.com/t/meaningful-links-and-mindful-projects/

Other than that I do not have a crystal ball.

(Bill Ames) #9

Please state the problem in your words, I do not really understand what Bucky is saying.

Also, the link you provided does not allow replies so I assume it is part of Ideapod’s propaganda collection. I am always suspect of words from anywhere that are not part of an ongoing discussion, not part of an exchange.

(Mark's Myth) #10

Then are we to invalidate all of your references to Wikipedia?

Regarding the idea from Bucky… to clarify converting from tools and mindsets of “weaponry to livingry” is essentially the same as a very old quote “turning swords into ploughshares.” Kind of an old idea humanity has slowly been waking up to.

We have limited physical resources and need to use them wisely considering our unlimited resources and synergies of mind.

(Bill Ames) #11

I cannot only reply to Wiki but I can edit it and tell the masters there the errors of their ways.

Still not clear, you talk about “swords into ploughshares”, we currently use neither. And that appears to be a solution, the question specifically states this is not what is being looked for. Please state the problem.

(ACD) #12

The idea is one of peace on earth, good will toward men. Instead of using iron to make instruments of war, use it to make instruments of peace. “And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.” Isaiah 2: 3-4

(Bill Ames) #13

The topic is a question requiring a statement of a problem, not discussion of a solution with no reference to the problem. We can discuss potential solutions, probably as a new discussion topic, but first we must state the problem, please everyone, first things first.

(Mark's Myth) #14

This is and has been recognized as a problem for mankind for many years. The problems from military might touch many issues/problems.

For example the waste of resources towards a violent end. The amount of pollution created. And I’m sure the list goes on and on.

To not see this is a problem, is a problem.

(Bill Ames) #15

Please state the problem.

A problem statement is a concise description of an issue to be addressed or a condition to be improved upon. It identifies the gap between the current ( problem ) state and desired (goal) state of a process or product. Focusing on the facts, the problem statement should be designed to address the Five Ws

(ACD) #16

The problem is that scarce resources are used for warfare (directed for the good of the few) rather than welfare (in the sense of the good of the many).

Who: powerful people
What: military industrial complex
Where: the G20 and its client states
When: since the beginning
Why: profit, power, and geopolitical competition
How: state-sponsored enterprise and / or capitalism

“So What Went Wrong? With the early death of Franklin Roosevelt in April 1945, the nest of Wall Street lackeys (many of them Fabians and Rhodes Scholars) embedded in the American bureaucracy quickly took over under the Presidency of Harry Truman… Although John F. Kennedy did attempt to revive the spirit of FDR during his three years in office, his early assassination, (followed by those of his brother, Martin Luther King and Malcolm X), sabotaged the re-awakening of the true constitutional America.”

Also China:

What is the best way to achieve a world that does not need expensive military components?
(Mel Saint) #17

Here are the list of problems that needed solutions:

1. Cure for HIV-AIDS, Cancer, Alzheimers, Diabetes

2. Fusion Energy

3. The Holy Grail Battery :battery:

4. Space Mining

5. Dark Matter

6. Cameraphone with DSLR Quality (not pixelated)

7. Universal Free Wifi (Elon Musk’s idea for SpaceX)

8. Solar Roof Panels

9. Cure for Baldness

10. Hyperloop

11. Universal Free Energy (Tesla’s idea)

12. Harnessing Coldness of Universe for Energy

13. Universal Basic Income (is it feasible?)

14. True Cryptocurrency (like Ripple but for real)

15. Hydro Cars (water as fuel)

16. Gene Editing (to remove genetic disorders such as autism, down syndrome, etc)

My list is no way exhaustive. These are just the random ideas that popped up in my mind.

(Bill Ames) #18

The question is, "What problems that we have today can be solved now by the resources currently available?

Do you have your choice?