What were you doing when you last lost track of the time?

(Justin Brown) #1

I’m curious to learn the activities in people’s lives that help them to enter the “flow state”, those moments where we lose track of time and also a sense of ourselves.

For me, I get it when I work. Particularly when writing an article. I wish I got it when creating videos but I haven’t built up my skills enough yet to really “let go”.

How about you?

(Neil Simpson) #2

When I am left to my own devices and there is no one around to keep tabs on me it is when I am recording or creating music. It would be my dream to have my own home studio.

(Bill Ames) #3

I am continually stepping out of time as this event is necessary when my mind engages in problem-solving. Problems come in many configurations. As simple as what to do next is often in my face or more complicated, more difficult, like how to best process the image in my editor. Invariably the problem will involve some creative activity. What breaks the spell is often my cat. I feed her small amounts by the clock as she was overweight and a real pig. I carefully log the time, and her next meal should be at least an hour away. So, as I sit at my keyboard, and she jumps up between the monitor and me, I ask, “what do you want, I just fed you?” However, she can tell time and often if I go and check the log she is on time within +/- a minute. For me, the hour did not exist.

(Taylor Brearley) #4

I like to draw millions of carefully placed dots while listening to Alan Watts lectures. Every time I sit to do this, I end up merging with time and becoming one with all things. In that state, creation presents itself without my participation.

(Justin Brown) #5

This is a nice way of phrasing it and describes my own experience.

Thanks for sharing our creative output. It’s quite remarkable you can express yourself in this way.

Today I completely lost track of time while writing this article. It happened once I understood how to connect what I wanted to say about the ideas of Neale Daniher and Jordan Peterson. Then it was definitely an experience of losing track of time, punctuated by some bodily urges to go to the bathroom and the need for more coffee. My brother @Lachlan was sitting next to me while I was writing and said I started to kind of hiss and wheeze in a most unpleasant way. I had no idea it was happening as my headphones were on and I was completely absorbed in my writing.

(denise wheeler) #6

Whenever I’m writing or working on a creative project. It’s like a flow state, where I get so engaged and so deeply absorbed that the hours — and sometimes days – just slip by.

And totally get what @BCFC-KRO said. I have a number of musician friends and they all go into that state when recording and creating music.

(Justin Brown) #7

I really cherish being in this state. I’m trying to design my work at the moment so that the first half of the day is focused on tasks that keep the machine of Ideapod moving along and growing. This involves a lot of updating of our older articles, social media management where we drive a lot of traffic, putting together emails promoting online courses, managing developers for our various tech projects, things like this.

I’m trying to free up the second half of the day for purely creative projects, alternating between writing new articles, creating videos… Following the “flow” based on what I want to immerse myself in that day… Or that week if it’s a bigger project.

I find myself losing track of time even with the mundane tasks of keeping the Ideapod machine moving. Ideally I can live a life completely immersed in everything that is happening while also making sure I’m taking responsibility of managing Ideapod so it keeps on moving forward.

(denise wheeler) #8

It’s the best place to be when you get into that groove. Everything just falls aside. But I know it’s hard when juggling a lot. I spent many long nights beside a fire, because it was the only time I had to write, after the boys were in bed and the house and my head peaceful again.

But everyone has their own way of getting into that space, so I don’t think there’s any one formula for it. I have some friends who have to completely disconnect, go into the hills and just escape, and others who are very systematic about it, from 5 am to 9 this or that, and from noon to 3 something else, etc. I personally can’t be that rigid, but whatever works.

I think that’s the most important thing, that you just have a place that alights those senses. Time is just a management thing and never enough of it. But a spot where you can hunker into with those thoughts, that for me is what gets that groove going, like a great bed for sex haha.