What's your opinion on the "fresh start" move?

How important do you think is for someone to change scenery, and social circle through the time of his life?

Very important. I was drafted in 1965 and the two years I spent in the Army was opening me to the real world and provided me with skills that helped me make a living at many different jobs. Such a change is essential for giving direction to the ship of life.

I appreciate your opinion Bill. So that’s something that you suggest to the younger generations?

We do not have the draft but you can join and there are a lot of benefits. The only problem I see today is the lack of youth that has learned to think. Also, you have to be technical to make a living that works into the future. You need to be able to do things that makes life for others better. It also helps to have a high IQ as you build skills you will be able to use them. It also helps to have had a good life style, being responsible helps a lot.

Here in Greece it’s obligatory to join the army, I’ve spent 12 months there. It helped me a lot. The real source of this question is to answer if someone needs to change places in order to expand your culture and personality. Personally I’ve answered positively to that, I’d only like to know what other people have experienced through this fresh start process

You say “expand” but what does that mean? And how does that apply to “culture” or “personality?” One can be exposed to places in the world where things are done differently. Some of this differently may be bad by the standards learning about them, what should they do with this knowledge? Some people have personality changes that ultimately lead them to suicide, again, going out in the world was a bad choice. I have found that you explore other parts of the world on Google Street View. I have seen places that are very interesting but I have absolutely no desire to go there. I am also being exposed to the real world by this live web cam. I am recording 1 image every 2 seconds and will make time-lapse videos. I have a PC displaying video and full sound from the other side of the world, 24/7. I have seen a lot of interesting people and it has given me a different perspective of the world. Actually doing people watching from my home here in Florida. You should check it out:

https://worldcams.tv/thailand/chaweng/tropical-murphys-bar

By expand I mean gain experience, learn new qualities to keep and flaws to correct on your character, new cultures that you may benefit from and some other ones you should avoid. New people, some good and some bad influences. Even if someone spend his whole life in a place, he would have to face these kind of personalities and circumstances. But what I’m wondering is, if that change and a fresh start and change of scenery can help you gain more useful experiences, learn from past mistakes and make your path steadier, and also learn from some new mistakes you make along the way. Use your already practiced skills to survive, while everything you see around you hides a potential skill to develop.

As for seeing the world, I was never a big fan of technological advance (while I was always making a living from it) so visiting places via Google Street view doesn’t fullfil my dream to see new places. Visiting a new place in the world doesn’t only mean to see it. You will need, in my opinion, to feel it, taste it and communicate with it in order to “unlock” the full experience.

At my age, whenever I go out, my first concern is where are the bathrooms. I am also very concerned where food that is something I can safely eat (just diet wise.) I do not go places that require extensive walking; my skin never tanned, so I have to avoid the sun. I never learned to swim, so that eliminates that. Looking at the world on street view, I see that there are unlimited places I would never visit in person, there are none of the things I need available. Now, when much younger, say 20, a person has the body and lack of experience where the whole world looks like fun.

Middle age people still have time to change their lives; if they need to do so, I think it is difficult for anyone to get an assessment of themselves from a valid judge, that they need to change.

I find that in my life that many people I know had problems that were mostly of their own making. They needed to change, and they were all knowledgeable. And they did not change.

You do not have a choice in technology, you can not stop using it if you had to go to a hospital and could pick one that had the services available in any decade for the last 500 years. How far back would you go to avoid using the technology you reject?

Make the same choice available for a car you drive or be driven in.

I will agree that if I knew when I was 20 what I know now (not the stock market, just people stuff) my life would have been a lot different. I would still be trying to help but on a much larger scale.

How about you, do you have many character flaws that must be changed?

I do not reject technology, as it is in almost everything, technology has its assets(like you said, useful applications, and gadgets that help people’s lives) and also it has its negative side (extensive use for example tends to make us, younger generations socially awkward when we are surrounded by people, and also many people are living in their social media bubbles, doing activities only for their image).

That’s what motivates me, thinking that just sitting around, afraid to change whatever ive acknowledged that I feel it needs to be changed, I’ll only get to a point that the obstacles for me in order to do it will be multiplied.

As anyone I think that I have flaws that need some work on them. But I also believe that spotting them is 50% of the process. Many people tend to ignore them and only feel the consequences.

We’re a curious, insecure, adventurous species. The hardest thing in life is to realize that we’re all on a roller coaster with the inevitable ups & downs. This is “normal” in spite of what people try to tell you or suggest for “improvement”. Sometimes, the only thing you can do is leave other people’s negativity behind & move elsewhere. Don’t forget that other people have other cultures & viewpoints that will be foreign or even primitive to you if you change scenery. In addition, due to everyone’s built in insecurity we’ll always be filled with self – doubts which will be frequently augmented by the B. S. that is floating around in one form or another but that’s “life”.

This is why I find it much more satisfying to view the world from the perspective of the aliens in my screenplay. It is necessary to do that so i can properly write how the humans will react. It like trying to write the dialog for a room full of cats when a stranger enters. What is important to them, are they afraid, curious? Humans are so predictable. Cats not so much.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. It’s like the saying “love is blind”. When you are in a stagnant situation, it’s very, very hard to see it objectively. You become a boiled frog.
A fresh start is a necessary thing if you’re feeling stuck, it can help you see things clearly.

I think changing scenery, and expanding your social circle is the most valuable thing you can do in life. Moving countries, moving house, going on holiday, travelling - even something as simple as walking an alternate route to work than the one you usually take, or chatting to the person next to you on the bus can give you a fresh outlook/perspective, and help you open your mind to other possibilities in life. I don’t think it necessarily needs to be a drastic fresh start.

It’s very easy to get trapped in a bubble if you spend all your time with the same people, and in the same place. So the more you step out of your comfort zone, the better off you will be.

Nice to meet Helen.

That’s what my opinion on the matter is too. I believe that all of us at some point in our lives we reach a point zero. We feel that we have seen everything that the place we are at the moment has to offer. And that’s the point that you can either seek some new experiences or stay there and risk falling in a loop that every day is the same.

Nice to meet you Batman ( I never thought I would write this phrase)

I agree. Our nature is to seek new adventures. Most of us get trapped in our routines and comfort zones.

Nice to meet you too @CostasT, I agree. That loop is when I start to feel resentment, and I feel trapped. I’m learning to recognize when I get to that stage - it’s not easy! :slight_smile:

@HelenEmmett recognizing isn’t easy at all. In my opinion it’s not even recognizing, it’s accepting that you’ve recognized. Most of us know what we feel but also most of us tend to willingly let it pass hoping that it will change by itself