What's your story #ForTheWeb

(Mark's Myth) #1

Thirty years ago Tim Berners-Lee proposed an information management system that has become known as the internet, the World Wide Web.

As many of us are aware the web has seemed to have jumped its proverbial tracks… derailing the ideals we imagined. Yet we still strive to build a collaborative platform for humanity. It may well be our destiny. The synergy of mind awakening to itself.

“At pivotal moments, generations before us have stepped up to work together for a better future. With the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, diverse groups of people have been able to agree on essential principles. With the Law of the Sea and the Outer Space Treaty, we have preserved new frontiers for the common good. Now too, as the web reshapes our world, we have a responsibility to make sure it is recognised as a human right and built for the public good. This is why the Web Foundation is working with governments, companies and citizens to build a new Contract for the Web.” — Tim Berners-Lee

This is an invitation to share your story #ForTheWeb… here’s mine:

(Bill Ames) #2

I had never thought of it as a right, perhaps food, water, health, and shelter are rights, but the internet? Does this include telephone and TV as part of the rights? If the internet is supported by advertisement do you have a right to the internet without advertisements? Some of the ads I have seen are very objectionable and inconsiderate of gender, race, religion, and politics. These must not be allowed to rule the right of access to the internet. In retirement, I find the fees I pay to access it are too high and if we could have the internet run by the government and provided for free that would be a better choice. I do have some of my own websites and when I was working I developed a website for my company, that was a wonderful learning experience. I do know that it costs money to host a website and that should be provided for free as part of our free internet. If everyone has access to the internet, we will have to be sure to provide everyone with the hardware to access the internet, having a right to it but not the ability to access it would be pointless. Ideapod would surely gain if all 7 billion were looking for places to offer them help in their life’s issues. I am not sure if having “pay for” websites would be acceptable. If everyone had access but no content was free what would they have? I think all content must be free. You can have ways of donating to needy websites, that would be helpful.

I fully support FreeWeb for everyone (users) and that should be available 24/7 anywhere in the world. And no funny business about censoring, all people should be able to access the truth no matter what country the live in. I think some of the most popular places on the web would be the web cameras showing people in one part of the world how other people live. We would be in a much better position to get to know our neighbors.

If anyone would like to know how to start a web site and write a web page using only windows notepad and paint programs I can show them how. Send me a message and I will reply.