Which countries have the best political system?

(denise wheeler) #1

Politics is intense, I know, and no system of government universally best.

But just curious which countries others feel have the best form of government and why?

(Bill Ames) #2

Vatican City, officially Vatican City State, is an independent city-state enclaved within Rome, Italy. Established with the Lateran Treaty (1929), it is distinct from yet under “full ownership, exclusive dominion, and sovereign authority and jurisdiction” of the Holy See. With an area of 44 hectares (110 acres) and a population of about 1,000, it is the smallest sovereign state in the world by both area and population.

Because it has the strongest military reserves and the rules are never questioned. It has the best after life retirement benefits.

(Justin Brown) #3

Interesting question.

I appreciate different things about different political systems. Please note that liking one thing about a country doesn’t mean I like other things about it.

• USA for the ideal of freedom of speech.
  • Singapore for state-planning of the economy resulting in economic development.
  • Scandinavian countries for successful implementation of a social-democratic model
  • Cuba for standing up to US imperialism

Just a few examples there. Need to do a bit more research on what’s happening in the world with political systems today.

(Bill Ames) #4

The question was which countries have the best political system.

If I were to ask which is the best (pick a sport) team and I listed the best player on a number of different teams I could say it would be the “best team”, but this made up team does not exist.

Perhaps we could ask, which country has the best system based on the written laws of the country, regardless if they are followed.

Some groups of people who have some place, some pile of dirt, where they live, may claim some other part of the planet as their 'country", are these countries part of the selectable list?

I think it is a good question. If we were to make a list of countries that had some measure, low pollution, clean streets, everyone votes, we may find these in some places we would never consider being good.

We are also ignoring the “best”, best for who, the people being governed or those doing the governing.

Here in the US we do not have a lot of people going to other countries as refugees looking for a better life. We have a lot of people wanting to come here. People often vote with their feet.

(denise wheeler) #5

I was at a dinner the other night and the conversation steered around to this, being that I’m in Ireland right now and political talk pretty standard, especially with a new prime minister in the UK and all the Brexit issues. So we all got to thinking if there’s a decent political system anywhere, since one American and a handful of Irish have much to gripe about.

But interestingly, most everyone said the same as you and almost verbatim. It was a pretty well traveled group and I was surprised nearly all said Cuba as well, while Canada and the Scandinavian countries were the only ones I could think of. Although, if Trump gets elected again I may add North Korea to the list. :wink:

(Graeme) #6

Having a good political system may not necessarily lead to a happy population. Maybe we should look at the Happiness Index that is regularly published? Maybe we should look for a place where everyone has a job and there is no begging on the streets? Where there is no corruption withe the rule of law enacted impartially? Does such a place exist that has these things?

(Justin Brown) #7

Apparently New Zealand is developing a “well-being budget” that promotes citizen happiness over economic gain:

I suppose that’s an example of a politician trying to engineer the political system to create more happiness.

According to the World Happiness Report, Finland is the happiest country.

(Bill Ames) #8

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

(Mel Saint) #9

I feel like wherever you go, people in that country will bash their own and fantasize others. We call that “it’s always greener on the other side syndrome”. I’ve been watching the Democratic debates and how they fantasize the Scandinavian countries for their socialized healthcare and education. But looking at the comments section, Scandinavian people themselves are complaining about the high taxes and that it’s impossible to be rich unlike in America. You can see how Sanders fantasizes Canada’s healthcare and yet you can see how Canadians are bashing Trudeau for being good for nothing liberal. You can see how US is bashing its drug/pharmaceutical companies, and yet UK is threatened with those companies. You can see Trump saying that US has become “weak” with it comes to its defense and yet the whole world thinks that US is still the strongest superpower in the world.

I don’t think there is a direct blanket answer to this question as everybody else will always fantasize a government that is not their own. It’s human nature. People never get contented.

(denise wheeler) #10

Great points @saintmel45. The whole conversation I had at the dinner that prompted this question stirred up much of the same. One person brought up healthcare in Ireland, which is terrible by the way, then another railed about the employment problem in France, and on and on. As we went through all the countries, there was good and bad with all of them, but none completely outstanding, at least in terms of stepping back and looking at things overall.

I suppose it comes down to what’s most important for someone, depending on where they’re at in life, as people who are retired don’t have the same needs as a young start up family, etc.

It also was apparent from the conversation that people are more willing to be content when someone they support is in office, no matter how things are faring. The economy could suck, but as long as so and so is in the White House or at Downing Street, it’s fine, but put someone else there and the country suddenly a disaster.

(denise wheeler) #11

I love that - a World Happiness Report. I didn’t even know there was such a thing. Everything now seems to be measured by Instagram, so perhaps that’ll be the next world index.

(Karen Daley) #12

No such thing. Political systems are the problem and until these systems are totally dismantled, this world and the people in it will cease to move on in any “pro human / pro planet Earth” way. I often day dream about reinstating the barter system, helping each other succeed in a collaborative way and living cooperatively. Wouldn’t it be grand?!

(Bill Ames) #13

Can you describe what I must borrow from the credit union so I can obtain a car? Now a barter system would work fine if we we just used plastic. You would be paid for your work in so many ears of corn, eggs and buckets of manure (to be used as fertilizer) and this would be recorded in your account as such, no real stuff is necessary. When you buy something its price would be listed in loafs of bread, putty knives and raisins. There would be a universal translation process that would make your stuff equal to that stuff. All done with the plastic. You have what you wished for, right?