Working 9 to 5: Why the daily grind isn't for everyone

(Izzy Arcoleo) #1

Read the full article here: https://ideapod.com/working-9-to-5-why-the-daily-grind-isnt-for-everyone/

Working 9 to 5. It offers stability, and the predictability can sound pretty appealing to people working jobs with irregular shifts. But the reality for many is that 9 to 5 really means 8 to 6, possibly with an unpaid lunch hour in the middle. It means you’re always at work or traveling to work.…

(Justin Brown) #2

Thanks @izzy for such a thought-provoking article.

I’m wondering whethet there are many 9 to 5ers here in the Ideapod community and whether this article resonates.

Also, are there any freelancers who became freelancers for the reasons mentioned in the article?

(system) #3

(Chris Lagos) #4

I appreciate the well written article. I myself see the 8 hour grind, to be a godsend considering the history of labor. It is ideal in my opinion for about 80 percent of us.
Writers on the other hand can be suddenly compelled to work non-stop until the compulsion is penned with no respect to hours .
Work is representative of purpose of life in my view. I am in my environment , the environment has a need , I fulfill that need and receive monies . On a deep level , it justifies my existence . My line of work , (Masonry) is labor intensive , it builds strength , while creating testosterone , it builds endurance , creating health , it builds patience , creating myself into a more solid interactive unit , it fosters my appreciation for beauty .
I receive Seratonin payoffs seeing my work . It’s actually quite difficult to separate motivation to work from the Seratonin payoffs , it’s an ancient thing .
Unfortunately , our pay hasn’t kept pace with cost of living increases in CA , causing me to seek more overtime work .
Regarding your 9 to 5 premise , I suspect there is no absolute work model for all . If you look at the big 5 model for personality types , https://goo.gl/search/Big+Five+personality+traits
Big Five personality traits,
You begin to see that people high in conscientiousness need a very structured life to do , say , bookkeeping for example , or run a factory , or acquire scientific data .
People high in agreeableness do well in service industry, people high in openness are entrepreneurs , artists , writers , teachers etc…

I suspect there are many who quit the 9 to 5 model and become homeless . I suspect that the assumption of victimhood is alluring because if I’m a victim of society , then in a sense , I’m not responsible for my lot .
If you work for someone , the odds that you are going to have a good boss are quite low. I believe nearly 85 percent of managers show zero to negative net benefit overall . They show remedy by firing workers . Many are in their position due to family ties and have no justifiable reason for their position. Acceptance of this reality is key to work .
Overall , I agree with Jordan Peterson that we are morally obligated to do what has meaning for us.

(Justin Brown) #5

You make a really good point, @Csmith, that while the 8 hour grind isn’t for everyone, it works for many people.

I’m an example of someone who left behind the 9 to 5 grind to build a business and have found a lot of satisfaction this way.

But I don’t think it’s for everyone. Many people who are working 9 to 5 and are frustrated ask me for advice on what they should do. My advice is always to begin with a side project and build it over time, because then you’ll learn a lot about where your passion really is. You’ll also see how viable your new side project is.

The side project could be freelancing, a business, an art project… It doesn’t matter.

The point is that we can’t impose cookie-cutter solutions on everyone. We are all very different and need to do what’s right for us.

What you say about work and purpose also fits with my experience. I think we get a lot of fulfilment from applying our craft and becoming expert over time