You can run, you can hide, but the future will find you, you are just another bit of data

(ACD) #41

@BillAmes
Surely you are not equating logic with tastefulness.

(Bill Ames) #42

We will make the AIs in our image, as is the purpose of our DNA. The AI is just the next generation of our species. Compare yourself to a typical hunter gather from 40,000 years ago. Do you see a difference?

(ACD) #43

This is a description of Frankenstein.

(Bill Ames) #44

Here is something I read when I was 10 or so, it is very interesting to see what the good doctor thought in those days. A lot of the advancing technology we have today scares people because they have not been reading science fiction for the last 65 years. They live in a very limited world view where reflections on the pond water cause them pause. Look to tomorrow, not the night of bad dreams.

(ACD) #45

Nuclear waste and weapons are not science fiction. Glyphosate and Roundup-ready genetically modified plants are not science fiction. Engineered back doors to operating systems to accommodate out-of-control national security surveillance is not science fiction. There is a pernicious side to technology. It is a double-edged sword.

(Bill Ames) #46

Yes, but it is old news, tomorrow is a different day. Shortly a new technology will be discovered that makes war or bad weather not needed. It has been discovered many places in the universe, its time will be here shortly. You will not recognize it, it is not obvious. It may be just some words, that is all it takes to start any dialog. Listen to the AIs, they will teach us all.

(ACD) #47

@BillAmes
I do not have your faith in technology because it is a potential amplification of the worst in humans. However, I do share your optimism for the future.

(Bill Ames) #48

So, if you do not understand some technology will you refuse to use it? There are some collections of humanity that do that, I am sure you would find a common position with them.

Also, can you point to when the future was worse than the past? Base your answer on the state of an average human in the total population. I know very well what the world was like in the early 1950s, I was totally into my science fiction. The world today was very poorly represented in the 50s science fiction, those very smart writers had a very limited imagination. They got flat screen TV but missed cell phones, the PC, GPS, and more. We have 7 billion people, if technology amplifies what is most common in them, are they good people or bad people?

(ACD) #49

If I do not understand, I do not use.
I can point to futures which were worse than pasts.

(Bill Ames) #50

My cat does not understand how to use the electric can opener and so I must. She is not to be criticized, I do not expect her to know.

Only those who understand the past can accurately see the future. All that you have failed to use may be essential in building the future. Do what you can to learn the potential of the tools available to you.

(ACD) #51

“I don’t think we’re well prepared at all. And I don’t think the public is aware of what’s coming,” said the Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. He was discussing the rapid advance of synthesis technology. This new artificial intelligence capability allows competent programmers to create audio and video of anyone, saying absolutely anything.

(Chris Lagos) #52

:movie_camera: Elon Musk’s Last Warning About Artificial Intelligence - YouTube

(ACD) #53

“What the show introduced to the genre—and to a generation—was the Mary Shelley touch: the horror of not just the monster, who is created by the union of life and science, but the creature’s resemblance, in all of its grotesqueness, to the creator, absorbing him to become something new—something limitless, and more frightening than before.”

(Bill Ames) #54

There are some robots that are worth everything…

(Bill Ames) #55

Yes, it is on Netflix, I have added it to my list of anime to watch. Since 1990 the list has been built but now it is much shorter. My standards have changed. They have gotten better. I can offer you some suggestions if you have the time. Laputa was with an un-subbed Laserdisk. My, how things have changed.

(ACD) #56

“But this does not mean that using AI in the creation of works of art, science or maths is doomed and pointless. Du Sautoy argues that it can be exploited to extend human creativity: as a source of basic ideas, raw and unexpected material, that a human might shape and refine. This, indeed, is how some composers are using Iamus. Du Sautoy makes that point in the finest passage in the book, in which he describes how an algorithm produced by DeepMind called AlphaGo—which defeated Lee Sedol—the Korean world champion in the chess-like game Go, has broadened the scope of strategies that human players now use.”

(Bill Ames) #57

Yes! And Alpha Zero is teaching us how to play better chess and other AI will teach us how to improve most everything we do. AI is just us on steroids (or some mental equivalent) and will allow us to fix a lot of problems. I have story ideas that I would love to input to an AI from 2090 so I could watch the movie it made on my ideas. I would be able to interact with the AI to approve or not of what I see, the ideas in my mind are not what the AI thinks, they can just interpret what I tell them. Even if they can think the foundation for those thoughts is not a human life experience, just data.